BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just looking for some advice. I just bought this mint 1991 16.5 Double Eagle with no power. I am moving up from a 14' aluminum and need some help deciding on HP and the old 2 vs 4 stroke debate. She is a very heavy boat for her size and has the newer, wider transom and updated body style. So I'm looking for a balance of good cruising speed and decent mileage. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm sure there's quite a few Double Eagle fans/owners out there who are very knowledgeable. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
587 Posts
what is the boat rated for? What ever that is that is the way I tend to go or maybe one step down.
That way I am not overworking a lesser Hp and I always have full capacity if I need it. 4 strokes are great on gas but are heavy so watch your transom. The two strokes are light and have good power but are increasingly hard to find in good used shape.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new 70hp or 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha is pretty quiet and has tons of jam.
MSRP is about $6900 & $7500 respectively.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcatspecs/10/specs.aspx

Great solid boat by the way. I love those old Double Eagles. From the Big Bank to the canal,
just an all around great Boat...

ps
I have nothing to do with any yamaha marine outlet. Just saw one the other day at the Boat ramp...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thanks everyone for the useful info. The boat is rated for 115hp, but that seems a little too much power/weight for my use. I'm thinking the 2 stroke because of the weight which should lead to better fuel economy? Now I just need to find a decent used one as buying new is a little rich, unless they have the lifetime payment plan!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would shoot for the 75 to 90 range....that is a popular power size so finding a used one shouldn't be too bad. I will keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the 90 Yamaha 4 stroke and it is very good on gas consumption,quiet and can troll like a slug but they are big and heavy no doubt.
The Double Eagle should handle the weight ok but is a personal decision. :2cents:

Like allready said,those Double Eagles are great boats and have a great hull. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
First Light has the right idea. A 90 4s Yammie would be the best selection you could consider. When considering fuel economy, make sure to add inthe cost of 2s oil as well. My 200 Evinrude efi has good fuel economy but the oil is $70 a friggin gallon. Adds up when you start travelling 20 + miles a day.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Iselmes hi I would sujjest "ya" go down to Galleon Marine in Richmond & talk to Ian or Mark & see what they have... Possibly some good camp-lease returns or rebuilts or trade-ins... They have given us great friendly & quality service!!! That's if you like a Yamaha...& if ya live close by.... If your mostly fishing Vancouver area waters[day-outing] I would use portables [ not a big built in tank...as when ya fill...there's alot of extra weight] Take like two portables should be ok for local fishing.... Plus if our mostly with a total of two in the boat I'd go for aprox 60-70 hp but I would definately ONLY GO FOR A 4 STROKE. Takes 30% less fuel plus you do not have to buy oil to mix-in [as mentioned in earlier post] Oil-mix & fuel is very very expensive & not buying oil & saving on gas it does not take long to off-set the costs of buying a 4 stroke. Plus you do not have to smell oil fumes & 4 strokes are quiet. Just my two cents... You have a good boat & I seen two of them yesterday at the boatlaunch. Double Eagle moved their shop to interior after so many years in Richmond. I guess they were too close to the new SKATING OVAL being built & buissnesses taxes have shot through the roof. Rona's taxes like shot up to $800 thousand per year for example... another small buissness over 2000 per month....[IDIOT POLITIANS OR GOV...so called laws good for the people...developers just want to chase out the buisses so they can build highrises that are being built near there. City Hall loves it so they can tax all the apt. units etc...] I have an ARIMA BOAT. Have a 16 footer which is just super !!! But for those who fish alot I'd sujj 17- 19-22 ft ARIMA for saltchuck If one goes to Washington State go down with your own trailer[have trailor papers for border guards] All ya do is buy your used Arima [ya do not pay sales tax] load it up on your trailer [ Get the titles & sales paper] When ya get to Canadian border to in to Canada customs & all you pay is Canada /prov tax and now your on your way home... Some great boat deals in Washington!!! Check craigslist Seattle. [ they make the Arima boats just outside of Seattle] My 16 ft Arima has a cuddy[sleeps 2] & has a 7ft-6in beam !!!!! But yes your DOUBLE EAGLE is a great boat... rented one 4hrs at Granville island 16ft & it was very stable & it was a windy day out that day...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't believe the 4S hype. I've had both Yamaha 4stoke and Evinrude E-Tec and they are both the same as far as fuel consumption at cruise. The benefit of the E-Tec is that my 250hp model, at idle 500-550rpm uses less fuel than the 4 stroke. I troll all day long at idle or just above and consume 0.18 US Gallons per hour on the computer. That's .67 litres per hour feeding the big 250. You would require a much smaller engine and as such even less fuel consumption.

As for oil consumption I burn 1 gallon of XD100 ($45 per gallon in Vancouver) per 100-200 gallons of fuel. I say that because I take 120 gallons in my fuel tank and only need to re-fill the one gallon oil reservoir every time and a half of fuel.

Again both Yamaha and E-Tec are good engines - based on my experience. If you're repowering an older Double Eagle you should consider the transom weight it was designed for - that would be my main criteria for what is going to work for you. It's no fun to porpoise along all day because you've overloaded your transom.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh I will say the 4-stroke is quieter than the E-Tec, however the E-Tec isn't annoying by any means.

Also if your boat is on a trailer your oil changes on your Yamaha should be reasonable because you can do it yourself or take it to the mechanic. Mine was twin Yamaha's in permanent moorage so the oil changes every six months got to be 1) expensive and 2) a pain to schedule someone to come do it. You may also find the only day you have time to take it for an oil change etc., is the same only day you have to go fishing that week. That's probably the most annoying of it all :) javascript:void(0);

Take it for what it's worth. YMMV.

·
Banned
228 Posts
BCI hi Pts you made well taken. Your stats on your ETC are impressive! I heard alot of good things about the motor. Lots of power & now as you say cheap on gas. My own personal experience with owning a 9hp 35 hp 60hp & finally a 70 hp was that they were smelly & the latter two really were hard on fuel. Plus measuring right amount of oil & mixing was not fun. Mind you the 60hp was auto oil injected so that was nice... Then there's the arguement on buying a cheaper mixing oil $3.00 litre or up to $7.00 per litre. Many will not put cheap oil in their gas ... But happy you like your E TEC... You also give ISELMES great advice about watching how much weight he loads the transom... A boaters story in Victoria was... they bought a new ARIMA [I think 16ft] boat which had a 90 4 stroke Yamaha... & the boat just plowed through the water...just too much weight... so they did a motor switch to a 60 4 stroke & the boat then just planed out perfectly!!! Personally like I mentioned with our 4 stroke we have saved alot on fuel costs...so quiet...& I don't smell oil fumes those are the facts... but hey that E TEC sounds great!!! I think people can get a free dvd on that motor that Evenrude/Johnson makes available.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Thanks for such great information everyone. I feel myself leaning towards the Yamaha 4 Stroke. But the Etec intrigues me as well! I am going to just take my time and hopefully find a good deal over the winter months. Thanks also for the heads up to Galleon Marine in Richmond. I will take a look at what they've got in stock. Gotta say this is a great forum with some very intelligent advice and it is very much appreciated.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Iselmes Your more than welcome!!! 99% of boaters/sports fishermen/women are really nice people... I see you are one of them as you are a grateful & thankful person! Right on. Take all of our advice & think it through... [7-10 boaters go for Yamaha but BCI sure is happy with his E TEC ... Great idea that your going to take time & not rush it... Let us know how things turn out. :peace:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.