BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was on this forum that there was talk some time back of building your own "prawn trap puller". A buddy of mine has a large boat that he is wanting to put one on as we are looking at switching his set up to two traps on a very thin steel line.

Building and welding the unit is one thing, but I was curious if anyone knows where you would source a motor that would work for this?

I for one am all about just screwing it and buying one.....but he seems to want a "project". :roll:
[/b]

A

·
0 Posts
I've heard of people useing car power window motors,you could probably get them fairly cheep at a junk yard

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fishaholic said:
do you have any kids pippen? hear they work well as trap pullers :lol:
LOL..... :lol: .....that is why we bring "rookies" out on the boat. "Rope and a mesh net"......."no problem"......

Okay idiot.....pull like you are Hercules.....as fast as you can......

Inevitably you get guys like that.....and guaranteed when you pick up the trap on the electronics.....and tell them they still have 150' to go.......someone who understands that 'slow and steady' wins the race has to step in.

The other great line we use with "rookies" is......you CAN NOT STOP AND REST......if you do.....the prawns ALL swim out of the trap!!

Get's em every time......

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have seen this work for anchors, but for them you need a 45 gallon drum. A large fendor should work for a prawn trap. On one end of the fender have a block or a smooth metal ring. Clip the fender to the prawn line so it can slip up and down the line freely. Kleet the prawn trap line off. Dump the fender in the water and drive the other way resonably quickly. The fender will want to say in the same spot and the prawn trap will be pulled to the surface. With all the line on the surface you can toward the trap picking the line up... be careful to not back over the line, that could be bad or cold experance for the new guy.
Again I have only seen this done by a guy in Maui who knew his s__t but he was pulling an anchor from 450'... it took him less then 10 minutes. Might be worth a try before sinking a bunch of money into a puller. I will stick to the beer fueled puller.
Have fun, Jason

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
we do that out here hali fishing, works good. have a loop on the scotsman with the rope through it, then, steel rod attached to the line about 10ft from the anchor or trap so that when it hits the top it will pull the rod trought the scotsman loop it wont go back down past that rod. makes it easy to get a anchor up

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey pippen where do i apply for that job ? sounds like a good time.. :lol:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
schlock said:
Hey pippen where do i apply for that job ? sounds like a good time.. :lol:
Schlock.....drop me a PM sometime.....if we have room we love to get people out on the water as I don't think they know what they are missing on a sunny "winter" day out on the chuck.

ALso......this was posted on another forum if anyone was interested in a "home made" puller.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5023

1 - 9 of 9 Posts