BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone offer any tips on how to prawn in the howe sound.. any info would be helpful as this is my first year out, havent had much success at all yet... interested to know about depths, bait , area location, tides , whatever ,any info you might want to share would be greatly appreciated. ]]]]] thanx :cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
labignan....

How far do you want to run and where will you be putting your boat in or where do you keep your boat?

As far as depths go.....anywhere from 250' to 350', but usually in the 300' range. We generally do all of our prawning up towards Anvil Island but it may be a bit too long of a run?? Bait that we use is pellets which are tossed in some rather pungent fish oil that a buddy picks up from a fish processing plant. Having a depth sounder is obviously a bonus but you can get by with good charts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for your help;. i keep my boat on land at sunset marina near lions bay, so anvil is not that far,maybe 15-20 min.run.i do fish a fair bit around the defense island area... ive got a trap; with 400 feet of rope.. i ve put some extra weight inside it as well as attaching a 7 pound ball on the line about 15 feet up from the trap.. as far as bait goes as of late i have been trying a combo of canned cat food and pre bagged pellets(which arre kinda expensive) . whats the fish oil thing all about , is it an integral ingredient not to be missed in the inticement? where do i find it?. is it a special type made for trapp;ing? :yummy:

·
Banned
189 Posts
Nikka carries the fish oil but Alaska Fish Fertiliser will work as well.

Yes it says 'deodorised' but it still stinks like rotting fish Walmart is probably your cheapest source for the stuff, or something like it.

Since the commercial season opened up May 1st don't expect much :wallbash:

Prawning is best in winter around here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I lived at Camp Latona on the north side of Gambier Island for 5 years! I have since moved to Chilliwack so i will give you all my secret spot! Straight across from the Camp on the mainland is a group of cabins and a logging dock. Keep going towards Port Mellon to the next large bay with a Creak and large gravel river bed on a very steep hillside approx 1 km. There is a gravel bottom and lots of Prawn :thumbup: I used commercial prawn nets and dropped them in 250' on average. I honestly caught 100 prawn in 1 haul in 2 traps. I have tried all around the island but the gravel at this river is full of prawn. They burrow into the rock when the tide comes. As for bait i used pellets as well.I would leave the traps out for 1 or 2 tides. Hope this helps. The area of cabins has slipped my mind. If you can think of it help me out! :confused:

Good luck and enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts