BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any decent prawning locally?. I have had great success up on the Sunshine coast at down around 400ft and was wondering if it's doable locally.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi coventry,

Indian Arm has some great prawning!, I have had most sucess during early to mid summer. 300 -400 Ft, in front of the hydro shed, in front of raccoon island, and Twin Islands. I have also got a bunch further down on the right hand side of the arm, in the bay just passed the hydro shed.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Coventry........up in Howe Sound around Gambier and Anvil Islands is quite good. I do see a lot of traps always dropped out between Lighthouse Park and Whytecliff Park....not sure how it is out there, but there are always floats out there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Scott,
I think most of the traps in English bay are comercial crab traps. For some reason us ametures have a dogma that states, 'crabs 60' or lease feet.' I have watch the pros pull traps from the deep and they get more... hooked on on the rigger to, it had a few in it. Started to put mine deeper and I got more... 11 six plus inch ( two bigger than 8") males! Just my thoughts... would not mind if other tested the idea.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Jay.....I gotta agree with you. We had dropped some traps through the a couple of weekends last year over towards Cowichan Bay and the friend we were with was dropping them down 100-140' and lets just say.......I was most certainly surprised with the results. I think you have to just play in the different areas......I have friends who have a place on Keates and the haul that they pull up consistently is mind boggling and they are in 40-60' of water.

The traps that I was referring to were not in English Bay but around the corner out in front of Fisherman's cove......I have seen numerous little boats coming out to pull up the traps along that stretch.

The traps that you see the floats for that are out in the "middleish" areas of E-Bay I would tend to agree in that much water they are likely commercial.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts