BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Going to keats island for the weekend. The plan is to fish around bowen island.
I have tried prawning for 2 yrs now and have had not much luck. Would anybody like to through me a hint in where i should drop the trap. thanks mike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm kinda of new myself but have been getting about 30 - 45 in a trap with short 2 hr or so soak . I just try anywhere in howe sound in atleast 250 ft of water. Get good fresh prawn bait . My last day out I watched a log boom grab one of my floats and drag it and the pot away. i managed to get it back , but watch where you set up. I was thinking there was no way a tug would ever come in this close when that happened but I WAS WRONG. Good luck

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Lots of areas up in Howe Sound and around the more "southerly" islands like Bowen, Keates etc. Just look for areas with some good depth of at least 250' and try and stay out of any "shipping lanes" to avoid ferries, log booms etc as mentioned by dmurph. I tend to prawn a bit further up into the sound towards Anvil Island but I kinda doubt you wanna head up that far.

I was out for a run yesterday down into False Creek and while running past the gov't fish docks.....I am assuming there is a local prawn opening that is "just open" or "opening" in the next day. All the prawn guys were loading up their traps and heading out. Just an "FYI" that the commercial guys will likely be out there now too. I didn't check DFO's site to see what/where the more local openings were so it may not affect the sound.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, commercial guys open tomorrow, May 6. Try to avoid them. If you have two traps on a line and they set over top it sucks.
They can only check there traps once per day between 7am - 7pm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have seen several references to "double sets" or "two traps on a line" with respect to prawning. When you do this, how much line between the traps? How do you make sure you're not setting them on top of each other??? (silly question, I suppose), but just wondering.

ugggh - sounds "heavy" to pull up too. But I like the idea of only one looooong line and and set of bouys.

~markb

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually set mine up pretty close, 25ft apart. figured my bait will work together.
when you set the line, just look at the tide, make sure its drifting away from you. you wouldnt have problem with trap on top of each other.

with two pots & weight, in 250-300feet of water, you would need 500 feet of leaded line.

get a big!! bouy for it. as long as people see your bouy, they stay away from your line. Do not use one of those white and red foam thing, I've lose few traps using them.

don't buy those trap using floating poly as the netting. they just bounce like crazy, you endup spending more on the weights you put on them.

If you see two same bouys not far apart, you might suspect there might be four pots with ground line between them, do not set your trap between them..

I find deeper you go (this time of the year) bigger they are.
you will be suprised how big they can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts