BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering why people like springs so much. They are big and fun to catch, but for meat, give me a coho or sockeye, even pink, never caught a chum so don't know. Just cooking a slab of spring for dinner tonight that I caught this summer and was reminded of how slimy they are and smelly. Maybe that's how I process, don't know. Really like Coho and Sockeye in comparison.

How do you process the big springs? Steaks? Lox? Fillets? Fillets are too big and can't be cooked like a Coho fillet. Steaks cover an entire plate! I've smoked springs once before but it didn't turn out well, not necessarily the fish's fault, not a good job of smoking.

Just wondering what people do.

Dan

· Registered
151 Posts
Although i will target springs i have stopped keeping them. i too came to the conclusion that they are not as tasty as other fish. I now keep only a few fish a year, mostly coho from large runs and pinks for the smoker (plus one sockeye per year)

· Registered
141 Posts
I'll agree coho and sockeye are the prime meat fish, but a red spring is also great on the bbq. I like to smoke the whites. Just a simple dry brine of brown sugar, salt and garlic. The dogs are good this way as well,
Sam :peace:

· Registered
781 Posts
I have kept a white spring once and didn't mind the taste at all. I think it really is more about how you cook them. I would agree that if you bleed a pink and cook it that day or soon after without freezing they taste great.

· Banned
228 Posts
Maybe I'm not fussy or have good taste buds as I just put alot of white onions salt black pepper lemon & make a big green tossed salid [ not over-cook] & like to eat them all... :yummy: just as long as it's not a FARM SALMON...Eat too many of those farmed ones & one may get "sickly"...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.