BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I would like to get a nice setup for the Vedder but don' want to break the bank ($300.00 max). I am curious to know what you guys think about spinning (which is how I typically fish) with a sturdy graphite rod and 18lb test mono.

I usually will attach a snap swivel to the mono and work the river trying different spoons and small spinners. Quite honestly walking up and down the river is half the fun for me, but I typically don't outfish the crowd.

I would like to try float fishing and am wondering what you would recommend for this type of fishing? I really like the idea of a 'centerpin' but am not sure how far, accurately you can cast them, and if there are and weird issues with them. I like a single action reel and it seems this is a good option?

What rod do you prefer on the river? I would like to go as light as possible but want to be able to control a strong fish...

·
Registered
186 Posts
for someone who is just starting i would recomend a baitcast or levelwind setup. 15lb line is the max that you will need on your reel as the norm for your leader is about 10lbs. I always tell people to master this type of fishing before moving to a center pin, i believe it makes the transition much easier. $300 would get you a great levelwind setup and only an okay center pin setup, so i would lean towards the baitcast.

:2cents:
-fishey

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a spinning reel guy myself from way back, and it's taking a while to get the level wind reel working right, :wallbash: but with a float set up it works a lot better than a spinner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I have fished with spinning rods all my life - mooching or knuckle duster in the salt. I have fished with level winds and they are great for casting, but the drag seems odd to me. It sounds like a good option for the price range and for bait fishing though...
thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I also have fished with the old spinning reel for a few years until I got my first Abu garcia levelwind - took me awhile to get use to it - I think my main problem was I was not keeping my thumb lightly on the line when I was casting - Once I figured that out I did fine! The only thing is I do get the odd birds nest - which I definitely did not get with my old faithful spinning reel. But the drift is much better and I can definitely drift farther! I still did very well with my old spinning reel (caught me lots of fish)! The other thing I have trouble with - with my levelwind is - when I have sticks and bush behind me - then I really have to be careful - I dont end up with a birdsnest!

·
Registered
789 Posts
fishey said:
for someone who is just starting i would recommend a baitcast or levelwind setup. 15lb line is the max that you will need on your reel as the norm for your leader is about 10lbs. I always tell people to master this type of fishing before moving to a center pin, i believe it makes the transition much easier. $300 would get you a great levelwind setup and only an okay center pin setup, so i would lean towards the baitcast.

-fishey
For someone that is just starting out, i would not reccomend someone using 10 pound test, they will bust of more fish and get discouraged, I use 12 pound and I can haul them in pretty good on it, as for mainline you can use 15 pound or even 20 pound maxima ultragreen, for your first few trips i would put 20 pound mainline on and 15 pound leader until you get the feel for you new equipment and have a chance at some big springs as well, once you get the hang of it all then i would go down to a 15 main line and a either a 12 or 10 pound leader fish where a bit of skill and finesse is required to working a big fish into the shore.

if you go to places like Hub sports and army and navy they have rod and reel combos for sale

I see allot of guys on the vedder with baitcasters (not that there is anything wrong with it) but there using 60 pound tuff line and 25 pound leaders..... its not necessary , you want the fish to have a fair chance of getting off as well LOL !!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Here is some pics of how i setup my gear

Here is a list of stuff i use

Here is a pic of how its all setup, this is just a quick simple description for you , my leader is anywhere from
14-20 Inch's, depending on the water depth is how i fugre out my distance between float and weight, first cast i try to hit bottom, then fine tune the float from there so that its just off the bottom without touching bottom (Strike Zone) On the bottom will cause foul hookups and to high will result in very few hook ups. try to be at least 1 foot or 2 feet off the bottom with good roe and you should be into fish

Hope this helps

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't forget that with that type of float, where the mainline goes through the float, you need little rubber float stops, have the guy at the tackle shop show you how to put them on, or use a 'dink' type float where the mainline goes through and wraps around the float to stop it from sliding on the line.

·
Registered
789 Posts
woody said:
Don't forget that with that type of float, where the mainline goes through the float, you need little rubber float stops, have the guy at the tackle shop show you how to put them on, or use a 'dink' type float where the mainline goes through and wraps around the float to stop it from sliding on the line.
I should have said something about that, i buy the round tooth picks, and break the pointed end off and stick it in the top hole works like a charm

·
Registered
789 Posts
fishnfvr said:
I noticed those little rubber stoppers seem to move quite a bit on their own - is there anyway of stopping this? Or is toothpicks the better way to go?
tooth picks and there cheaper !!! Only time i use those rubber float stops are when im using my drennans for coho and steelhead

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i think it all depends on the rubber stopper. i have had some that piss you off all day moving and others that dont budge at all. just like some dink floats do even with your mainline wrapped around it :wallbash: I used to use toothpicks but they fall out sometimes and can also move easily. I see alot of people use only one rubber stopper to stop the float at the depth they want, this can be handy when fishing very deep holes but i find that the float doesnt always go all the way up so i dont do it that way anymore (only did it for a couple hours before it annoyed me to much LOL)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
thats a pretty good Idea :thumbup: I might actually try that out. I think i have some straws and dacron around here somewhere :confused:

FF yes i know there is different sizes just some seem to wanna slide alot which is annoying

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you run out of time you can find "bobber stops" in the tackle shop or you can get them in bulk on ebay for about 10 cents each. But for a penny you can tie your own; I use a braided line like spiderwire cause its easier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FishFreak said:
fishey said:
for someone who is just starting i would recommend a baitcast or levelwind setup. 15lb line is the max that you will need on your reel as the norm for your leader is about 10lbs. I always tell people to master this type of fishing before moving to a center pin, i believe it makes the transition much easier. $300 would get you a great levelwind setup and only an okay center pin setup, so i would lean towards the baitcast.

-fishey

Fishfreak, pump, finsfvr, et al.

thanks for the infor on the gear and the line. levelwind it is then...
also, fishfreak thanks for taking the time to post that pic of your float set up. it clears thing up, greatly appreciated.

i may run into some of you cats next wednesday....

have fun.

For someone that is just starting out, i would not reccomend someone using 10 pound test, they will bust of more fish and get discouraged, I use 12 pound and I can haul them in pretty good on it, as for mainline you can use 15 pound or even 20 pound maxima ultragreen, for your first few trips i would put 20 pound mainline on and 15 pound leader until you get the feel for you new equipment and have a chance at some big springs as well, once you get the hang of it all then i would go down to a 15 main line and a either a 12 or 10 pound leader fish where a bit of skill and finesse is required to working a big fish into the shore.

if you go to places like Hub sports and army and navy they have rod and reel combos for sale

I see allot of guys on the vedder with baitcasters (not that there is anything wrong with it) but there using 60 pound tuff line and 25 pound leaders..... its not necessary , you want the fish to have a fair chance of getting off as well LOL !!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.