BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to fly fishing and have only tried fly fishing for salmon in rivers of the lower mainland a few times. Can anyone point me to resources on learning good presentation for salmon? Is it heard of to use indicators for salmon? Without indicators, I get confused in my mending, on when I should be in a zone where I need to have a good-line connection with a potential biting fish. I know this all sound simplistic but if anyone can think back to being at that stage, where do you turn for advice?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm with ya buddy...took a couple years of time on the water...research on the forums etc. I was primarily a stillwater guy before I moved down here.

Best way to start is a heavy fly on a floating line, but dont get too carried away with leader length. Think about the depth of water youre fishing in too. With floating line, you can have an idea where your tip is/where your fly is during most of the drift. It is essential to have drag-free drift. Mending is just to keep the body of your line in control such that the current doesnt pull the body of the line faster downstream than the water that your fly is in.
Start with short casts as it is easier to control your line. Get that feel of having your fly drift down at the same speed as the surrounding flow.
Cast approx 60 degrees downstream, drift a bit... big mend, watch your line tip...feel it, follow the fly downstream with your rod tip...throw some line into your drift to increase the length if the drift...let it go tight at the end of the drift...wait a few seconds...strip in (slowly) .
I strip in slowly because often you are in a thick pile of fish. That way you can avoid snagging them. You'll feel your line get a bit heavy when it slides beside them...try not to set the hook. A bite WILL BE a bite. As in a vicious TUG TUG. Not a slow pull.

Just keep experimenting with those things in mind.. There are enough fish in the river that you'll be rewarded whether you're doing it perfectly...or not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good advice bronjuan. Mending is something that takes a little practice - but it is essential to master. Also, consider investing in a multi-tip system such as the Rio Versa Tip. This will give you options - from full floating to type 3, 6, or even 8 if you need to get down in a hurry. You can still mend of course - creating a nice drag free drift. Mending also facilitates with getting the fly down.

As for indicators - I've never used these for salmon. Use your floating line itself as an indicator (if the water is slow enough). Your line will straighten if you hit a fish (or the bottom). However, you will FEEL everything your fly touches - including a fish and you'll know when that happens. I find fly fishing to be a huge advantage over gear/drift fishing for feeling the sensation of a strike - hands down! I love the feel of a soft take through the line in my fingers! Also, in the right water conditions, the fly can definitely outproduce the gear - sometimes by a wide margin. I've experienced this many times. The main problem for me is finding the right water, minus the crowds, on rivers like the Vedder/Chilliwack. I found out the hard way that sometimes fly and gear don't mix very well.

As for finding good resources, try searching this forum. I, and others, have put tons of information on fly fishing for salmon/steelhead on the rods, reels, lines, leaders, tippet, and flies! All things aside, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Great information guys. :thumbup: This site is the first step in pointing you in the right direction, so you can get the most out of your experience on the water. If possbile try to find water no faster than walking speed, or some frog (water with almost no flow such as the dug out ponds and side channels). These are your best options at having some results while you go through the learning curve of mending and retreiving. There are some great articles on the subject on the home page, you can check out as well.

Finder:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts