BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm am curious to know what your dream spey set-up would be - price is no object - rod, reel, line. let's say a trout set-up (4/5/6ish) and a steelhead set-up (7/8/9ish). i am interested in not just what your dream package is, but also WHY.

Dinsdale

· Registered
691 Posts
My dream steelhead set-up would be a Meiser 16ft 6/8 custom built rod with all the extra's and a nice pre-war 4in leaded finish perfect strapped to it.

The good news is I picked up the reel a couple weeks back and I'm just waiting for the rod to arrive :happy:

I will add that an original vom hoffe would look even sweeter, but then I'd probably have to dig up some old bamboo spey rod from yers gone by just to match :confused:

· Registered
691 Posts
Sorry dinsdale, For got to add.

The reason I wanted this combo, and believe me I thought it was a dream till my wife ok'd it :thumbup: Go figure. Is I started into spey casting in the spring, and have been having a blast. My 14ft rod is a very functional rod and will do all of our local waters just fine, plus my wife has a shorter softer rod that will cover some of the other lighter stuff.

What I wanted was a get out have some fun with long bellies and make sure it's good long enough that I would never want to get rid of it, maybe even show my girls how to cast with it. The Meiser 16ft rod is a smooth dang pretty looking rod and is as custom as you want it to be. I picked up a nextcast 95 dry line to go with it. As for the real, I love the look of the old Perfects whenever I see an old black&white pic. And nothing compares to the leaded finish ones.

As for trout rods, we'll have to do some digging, I just starting looking at them.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm lucky enough to own my dream setup for trout...mainly because I worked at M&Y a number of years ago, and was able to purchase my gear under Winston's professional program.

Out of all my setup though, the one I'll never let go of is my Winston IM6 4wt teamed up with a Marquis 4. Second would be the BIIx in 6wt, and a very close third the LT5 in a 5wt. I love soft rods for trout.

· Registered
578 Posts
All my dream rods are made by my freind John Launstein, owner of GL FlyCraft. I Have tried out many rod over the years and made most of my own but rarely do I come across any that come close to his; the guy is a master. Too bad I refuse to fish with anything that casts me a grand to purchase. I have some expensive rods in my collection but I only use them for display and casting demonstations. The rods I fish with cost me $60 to $100 wholesale that way I don't get stressed when someone steps on my rod or slams it in the car door.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
All my rods and reels bear marks from being used. Being bounced around drift boats, my tin boat, rocks and riverbanks have all left marks on my rods...that's how I can tell they're mine. ;D Not abused...just handling marks.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
part of my motivation for asking these questions is that i would like to try spey casting and i hate to buy junk. i have a N.I.B. hardy #1 salmon reel i bought from woodwards many years ago. it is just dying to get bolted onto a spey rod.

i also like fishing big trout waters and find my 9' 5wt sage doesn't cover all the water i would like. so i am in the market for a premium quality 4/5/6. possibly even a switch rod.

DP

· Registered
707 Posts
pretty hard to purchase a "junk" spey outfit nowadays. Even the low price point rods like TFO, St Croix and Dragonfly can all cast a decent line providing you can. If you line the rod right you really don't need to spend the money on a $1,000.00+ set up for fishing. It is nice to own hi end equipment though.

· Registered
691 Posts
Dinsdale,

You should come out and swing a few flies. I've only got the 2 rods right now, but would be glad to head out with you and let you give them a toss, mind you they're both bigger rods than your looking at. I've chucked a couple of nice lighter weight 2 handers.

I would say to try and hook up with a coulpe of guys or attend a spey clave to give some rods a shake.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
RLN is pretty much right...lots and lots of really nice double handers in the lower to mid price point that a number of years ago would have been considered "premium" with the right label on the blank. I have an old 13' 8wt St. Croix Imperial double hander that I bought off of Ron H. a while bakc that I really like. LOOP has a number of offerings in several price points that are very nice...just don't ask Rick B. how much his new toy retails for. :D :eek:

· Registered
691 Posts
Hey we all know would rather be caught on good looking gear, there's not a big steelie out there that would allow itself to be caught on a wallmart special ;D

· Registered
1,660 Posts
eimaj said:
Hey we all know would rather be caught on good looking gear, there's not a big steelie out there that would allow itself to be caught on a wallmart special ;D
J: Some of your reels make my reels look like Walmart specials! ;D

· Registered
1,702 Posts
steelhead is a custom Loop adventure G3 10' 7wt, AGE7100-3A model number. With a Bauer fly reel, model Rogue, 7/8wt, anodised gold coloured. With a gold reel seat. Use this rod for dry fly fishing steelhead on the bulkley and kispiox. Or swinging on vedder and thompson, i know it sounds a little light, but thats what a fast pair of boots is for. and the bauer holds 180 of 20lb.

thats my only dream combo. the trout rod i dont care, and the spey, haven't figured that out yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.