BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its 3 weeks until summer holidays - how is the fishing in Rupert and area? Last year was a good year for size and numbers: how is this season shaping up?

For those of us in the interior of BC or Alberta, the Rupert reports help us decide where to trailer our boats (and wives) on our annual holiday.

The absence of reports may be interpreted by our wives as absence of fish and then they twist our arm to drive to southern Vancouver Island instead.

Please post! (She can shop at Cow Bay).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess that I can answer my own post.

The people fishing Pr. Rupert are tight lipped regarding posts. This is strange 'cuz I heard they got internet up there last year.

From other sources, I've heard that the spring and coho runs are expected to be as good or even better than last year partially because of the reduced commercial quotas in Alaska.

The spring weather seems to be limiting small boats so far.

I'll stick to my dates of first week in July and mid-August and report.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I drove for 12 hours and can almost see Alaska. I was wrong: I asked a few locals and its next year that they are expecting to get internet and start posting fishing reports to draw the hundreds of Canadians and Albertans into town.

We were on the water by 5:15 and putted across the mouth of the Skeena to Humpback Bay. We fished for about 20 minutes before the first (and only) strike of the day. After about 35 minutes, we had the fish to the boat: 40 pounder!!! It barely fit into the net. Caught it on a pinkish flasher and a Baitrix rubber herring. We fished for another 3 hours without a bite and then the wind started to pick up.

Forecast for rain and wind tomorrow (Sunday) but better weather forcast for Monday/Tuesday. We'll head out then. Wife needs to be back at work by Thursday so...

·
Registered
708 Posts
maybe you should head up towards Dundas. Fishing was reasonable last week with many over 30lbs and a few over 40lbs for the guys I know that fish that area. Last weekend was a touch spotty but still some very nice fishing being boated

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe you should head up towards Dundas. Fishing was reasonable last week with many over 30lbs and a few over 40lbs for the guys I know that fish that area.
Chatham Sound has too big of water for my 18ft lake boat. I've been to the head of Portland Inlet thru Work Channel in my boat and to Port Simpson in a more substantial boat and it can get a bit hairy at times.

Wife and I returned to Humpback on Monday and caught 2 more mid-30 springs and a decent coho. Nobody else was catching however and by mid morning there was only a couple of other boats. It looked like the others headed towards Edye.

This was my first trip really hitting some larger fish - gotta love the clickity-clack sound of the Daiwa M-1 Plus knuckle busters attempting to peel out line!

The E-tec did a great job - three days fishing, including trolling and 12-15 miles each way motoring for half a tank of gas.

I'll head back up in mid-August.

I'll be spending the next three weeks in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland - Does anybody know if the tidal waters licence bought for the Pacific is good for the Atlantic???

·
Registered
266 Posts
My fishing licence says Pacific Region.

Seems like you hit into some pretty nice fish, that's what keeps you going back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My fishing licence says Pacific Region.

Seems like you hit into some pretty nice fish, that's what keeps you going back.
Darn Feds!!! I was hoping to do some incidental fishing on that side.

I keep going back cuz my son lives there and so the gas money comes out of the "visiting family" fund rather than "fishing" fund.
I don't know why the other boats were not catching - usually there is a dozen or more boats in the two km zone with plenty to go around.

Maybe my boat is special.... I'll try to post a pic soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Put in a couple of days this past weekend for our annual Rupert trip. Fished in and around Dundas. Limits for everyone in our group on springs, coho, halis, lings, and snapper. Largest spring just over 50lb.
Freezer full again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder why Rupert and area doesn't market itself a bit better? The summer fishing is great and you have the ocean to yourself with just enough other boats for safety. Flights are relatively cheap (850 Airmiles Points). River fishing is world class. But nobody from there posts!

But instead the boat launch sites are almost empty - lots of parking for rigs and trailers and only a few people in the local tackle shops. Then the local newpaper writes stories about not enough jobs in the area.

Nice for those of us who make the road trip to have all of this to ourselves, but kinda a hidden gem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
August 26 & 27 Pr. Rupert charter

Before we arrived we told by our guide that salmon had slowed down to almost non-existant.
We still went.....
First day between 4 of us we got 4 halibut, 12 Salmon ( springs & coho ) and 1 red snapper.
It was the most salmon the guide had seen in 2 weeks and the packers at Dolly's said that we were extremely fortunate as they had not many fish in the last few weeks.
The next day we landed 2 dogfish (salmon sharks ), 4 halibut 2 red snapper and a 14lb coho.

Our guide explained to us before the first day out that salmon schools had been reported just north of us and through Alaska but hadn't made it to BC yet.
It ws a great trip, not as many salmon as what we could have got and the halibut were on the lower size range, 20 - 25lb, but we had a blast!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fished Dundas Island and area July 14 & 15 with the usual gang. Limited out on Springs and all were Tyees. Limited out on Coho with average weight being 15 lb's. Limited out on hali's with a few lingers and assorted groundfish. Typical trip and truck was loaded down for the drive home.
On a side note the charter operators are hurting, must be an economy thing ???

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
huge coho being caught in teaser heads using herring biggest ive seen so far is a 19lber! huge! most boats i see comming into the docks are doing very well on getting there limits! halibut seem to be getting bigger from the people ive talked to so far ive seen a 67 and a 79! Springs are few and far between but did see one come to the dock at 45lbs! i swear i need a boat! Ill report more as i am usually at the docks here in port ed and see most of the boats come in and i always ask questions on what there hittin on!

CK

·
Registered
160 Posts
Before we arrived we told by our guide that salmon had slowed down to almost non-existant.
We still went.....
First day between 4 of us we got 4 halibut, 12 Salmon ( springs & coho ) and 1 red snapper.
It was the most salmon the guide had seen in 2 weeks and the packers at Dolly's said that we were extremely fortunate as they had not many fish in the last few weeks.
The next day we landed 2 dogfish (salmon sharks ), 4 halibut 2 red snapper and a 14lb coho.

Our guide explained to us before the first day out that salmon schools had been reported just north of us and through Alaska but hadn't made it to BC yet.
It ws a great trip, not as many salmon as what we could have got and the halibut were on the lower size range, 20 - 25lb, but we had a blast!!!!!

just an fyi dogfish are not salmon sharks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts