BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fishing out on the Fraiser with a friend on his jet boat near chilliwack twice in the last week with good success. Been launching at the park for ten dollars. I noticed all sorts of types of boats from car toppers to fiber glass inboard outboards. My question is would I be crazy to take my 20' alumaweld outboard with an 18 degree bottom without a lot of problems? Take it easy and trimmer up pretty high? Noticed the river has dropped a bit in a week or so. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
In order to determine whether you would be crazy one would have to know how much experience you have, do you know what you are doing, do you know the fraser, do you know how to read water. I've always been a believer to go with my first gut reaction ............... if it says No ......... then No it is. If you have to second guess that ........... then you know you are in trouble.

Lots of outboards in the Fraser ............. are they all crazy .................. NO!! Some ............. CERTAINLY!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used a 14' aluminum with a 6hp johnson to get to a nice bar that a jet got me to. I followed the same path and got a chance to see the depth of the water on the jet. Respect the river and wear a lifejacket. No bashing please. If you are not comfortable DONT do it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 16.5ft aluminum with a 90 outboard. I wanted to be able to access some of the areas in the upper Fraser as well. One of the best things I could suggest (I did this) Have a friend who knows and fishes the upper river take you out and show you a prop safe, short run, to a bar or sturgeon hole close to your preferred launch. Watch the depths and watch the route. Don't go for miles or you won't likely remember where you need to be in the river when you are running your own boat. You can now get out for this short run, and build from there. I don't have too much range once into the Fraser from the Harrison, but it's a start.

·
Registered
745 Posts
When we first started fishing the Fraser from a boat, we were using a 16' fiberglass with a 65 O/B...... we would put in a Island 22 (a few stares) and head up river, many times above the Rosedale bridge....(many stares).... we had noone to show us the river so we took it slow and easy (going up) using our sounder and watching/reading the water. We also had a GPS which plotted our path up..... many times we would have to shut the engine down and float back down river when we ran into shallow water and move over (or in) farther to find water we could fit in......

Coming back down river was way more fun as we would have a spotter watching the river while the "pilot" could keep an eye on the GPS trail..... worked great for us as we could usually get a couple of trips out of the old trail before water levels would drop and we would have to go back to step 1.....

Now having a jet, still get "puckered up" when I get into skinnier water as we were use to getting jittery in 2-2 1/2 feet of water......:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
sorry to go a little off topic but this seems to be an ok place to put this as i am also a little crazy haha

I have an 11' aluminum with a 6hp Johnson stored at my old mans place in the interior.. is that to small of a boat/hp to be able to get out to the bars?? i have some river experience.. but honestly none on the fraser

·
Registered
247 Posts
I saw 2-3 of that description go by yesterday while across from the mouth of the Harrison. One had 3 guys with no life jackets on. The others were solo. They all did OK here, but I would pick your area as I'm sure it could turn into a scary ride fast depending on where you go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks!!

My old man is coming down this weekend and now I can let him know to bring the boat haha!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like everyone has said make sure you know where you are going! We fished at Bowmans the other day and two small boats blew their props off at the same time right across from us and had to yell over for help. Luckly we were able to zip out there and tow them both back up to Old Orchard in my buddies boat.
Make sure you have a river anchor too. Neither of these boats did and they were drifting downstream pretty fast without power and the paddles did nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was out there yesterday. I saw a family busy catching sockeye and never noticed that their boat was fast drifting away. They forgot to put an anchor. We have to chase their boat using my friend's boat. Current was fast. Don't get too excited with the fish out there we still have to be careful.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You sure wouldn't find me (if you pardon the pun) DEAD in an 11 foot boat with a 6hp engine on the Fraser River. Did that once in a 12 footer with a 7 1/2. Every tidal pool sucking at the bottom of the boat .......... now that's scary. Going upstream will be a very slow go for you. Sure hope it runs good and you wear a quality life jacket. Life's too short ......... maybe you need to ask yourself ........ "AM I FEELING LUCKY"?? Quite the gamble for a couple lousy fish!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
What would the users on the forums consider a *safe* size boat / hp ??

i'm not much into dying personally haha

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Jason,
Guess you'd need to decide which is your ultimate use?
I ran a 12' Ungava (deep & wide hull) aluminum with a 15 HP for many years before moving up to something bigger. I never anchored in it and it was only me, or me plus one in boat, generally going from the launch to the perferred bar to fish from. I felt very comfortable and ALWAYS respected the tug wake, always worn my PFD...it's really your own comfort zone that gets you to the spot. As I built my confidence in an area with using my sounder and following another prop boat here and there I expanded my travels slowly. As was said before, if in doubt...don't do it. More over....have fun out there, who wants to be stressed out fishing!!:cheers:
Fraserking

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd rather be in a 12 footer with someone who knows how to run a river, then be in a 20 footer with someone who has no idea.
But that's just me...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favor and install a Mac's river runner on your leg,you can get them at Cascade marine in Chilliwack(for about the price of a new prop).Small rocks can get past it,but it avoids that first strike damage that ends your day.Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favor and install a Mac's river runner on your leg,you can get them at Cascade marine in Chilliwack(for about the price of a new prop).Small rocks can get past it,but it avoids that first strike damage that ends your day.Good luck.
Be very careful installing one of these on your skeg. Four holes drilled through the skeg will weaken it immensely and if you happen to hit bottom with it while there is some sideways current push , it will act like a shovel and dig in . The extra torque will snap the skeg off easily right at the bolt holes. You will lose the river runner as well as the skeg. Bin there done that. Twice :eek: Now we have installed Tilt and Trim and a sounder. Launching and beaching the boat are the critical times for a small boat and prop damage . just my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what I have seen the safe minimum is a 9.9 on a decent 12' that has some width to it. Any boat is unsafe if there is too much weight or is loaded improperly. I have seen 12' with a 9.9 loaded with 4 guys, coolers and gear...not much freeboard left.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts