BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the best sturgeon fishing upon us I thought it might be a good idea for people that are not knowledgeable in the safe and proper handling of sturgeon to get some good info and tips from the experienced on this site. I myself am new to this type of fishing and have gotten some good info on this site so for. However I found an article that contradicts what a lot of people on this site are doing and saying about noosing a sturgeon by the tail. http://www.bcsturgeon.com/article-sturgeon-noosing.htm What do you do when handling a sturgeon?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
livinlarge great topic, and great article that should be read by all that fish for sturgeon, as i have often wondered about noosing myself. i have caught many sturgeon in the last 10 years or so and can say that not once have i noosed a fish to bring to shore for pictures. all fish are brought to the side of the boat, picture taken and released with out the aid of a rope. mind you i have not taken a fish any bigger than 7 feet, and probably would be tempted to bring to shore some how a fish that is in the 10footer class. i,m wondering how some would do this without the use of a rope. i guess you could always try to maneuver your boat close to a beach during the last bit of your fight with the fish so that you could just handle it there?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Fishin fvr posted it last week too, great read. It is nice to see as this fishery becomes more popular we are learning new, more proper ways of handling these giants.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
stsfisher -well I would hope if you got into a 10 footer - I hope you have a few people on board to help you out - lol. Just reeling one in that size might be a bit difficult :happy:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive gone out on 6 guided trips in the last 3 months and personally caught or was in the boat with guys who caught 7 fish rom 4 ft,80lbs -8 ft,250 lbs....I know this doesn't make me an expert but from what Ive witnessed and done myself...the smaller fish,from 3 1/2 ft - 5 ft or so can be reeled in, grabbed by the tail while supporting the head, and lifted into the boat and then released by dropping head first in a smooth motion....pretty standard.....the bigger fish are reeled in and kept beside the boat and then brought to shore....they are almost always tired enough that I honestly don't think you need to tie the tail....I think it is a measure taken to ensure that the fish doesn't get away....I have tied the tail and the rope never went tight so I don't think it harms the fish but I don't think its needed....I went sturgeon fishing for the first time 3 months ago and I've been hooked ever since...there is nothing like leaning back with all your body weight against a fish that can make you fight with all the strength in your arms and body for 45 minutes +.....they jump, run, and dive like any fighting game fish......awesome!........they've been around for so long and it would be a shame if we were the species that destroyed them......conserve and protect...cheers

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Tail roping is not for taking to shore in the first place, take the fish to shore with the rod and hook in the mouth.
In the past I would tail rope a fish to avoid a client being tail smacked by the fish, which can and does happen.
Now I simply get IN the water with the fish grab it by the mouth and flip upside down, which almost always subdues any agressive behaviour. When its time to get a pic, have someone hold the tail(the danger zone) and someone hold the mouth and the fish will normally behave, making sure to support the fish throughout its length, lift only enough for your quick pic, release.

hope this helps people with safely landing their sturgeon

Good luck out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.