BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a great day on the river, but I need some advice. I brought in quite a few fish but I often ended up snapping the line right at the hook, leaving at least three chum with some fancy lip jewelry. I don't like to drag them up on the rocks. Instead, I bring them into shallow water, slightly up stream so they end up about even with me, tuck the rod under my arm, grab the line with one hand, and try and grab the hook with pliers with my other hand (while the fish is usually splashing about). But right at the last second, either at the moment of grabbing the hook, or just about to, the line snapped at the hook, with the hook left in the fish's mouth. I watched others around me, and I can't say I saw anyone else doing much better - lots of splashing and messing around, or else dragging them way up on the rocks with the fish beating itself to smithereens. So, just wondering, how do you manage to unhook your fish with some kind of grace, and in a way that minimizes the stress/damage to the fish, without losing your gear?

· Registered
691 Posts
Like fishery said for me to, and it had better be barbless :cheers:

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
It's the tention on the line and often the location in which the hook is placed that creats the challenge.
What I have seen many times in the past but have never used myself is a small billyclub like divice
that has a large blunt hook at the but end and what you do is run the hook down the mainline then
the leader to the hook and give a little twist then the hook just pops out without your hands getting
too close to the action........ :D Keep meaning to make one and I will soon.

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
736 Posts
marko said:
It's the tention on the line and often the location in which the hook is placed that creats the challenge.
What I have seen many times in the past but have never used myself is a small billyclub like divice
that has a large blunt hook at the but end and what you do is run the hook down the mainline then
the leader to the hook and give a little twist then the hook just pops out without your hands getting
too close to the action........ :D Keep meaning to make one and I will soon.

This may be a very good idea Marko. I took a hook right through one of my fingers last year while trying to get the hook out of a Jack Spring for a guy. Just about had it, the fish freaked out, and the hook dislodged itself from the fish and right into my finger. Thank god this guys hook was barbless... ;D

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
From what I had seen this is a very effective method . I don't like using the needle nose pliers
because I run the risk of loosing them in the drink or breaking the leader when I miss the hook.

· Registered
898 Posts
I find a good pair of surgical pliers work well

As for what you have suggested marko i have been attempting making myself something similar
not quite got it right yet
need to talk to my maintenance buddy

Here is what you need
one piece of heavy gauge wire bent at both ends
a good piece of broom handle (length to suit)
two hose clamps
here is a rough picture

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Ya, thats the idea but I was thinkin more like a two in one fish bonker and hook extractor.... :D

What about a simple 3/16 th screw in hanging planter hook ? Glued in of course as to prevent

it from twisting out..... :cheers: Marko

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I like to tail the fish and let it setlle down, then depending on the fish I will simple use my fingers to remove to hook. Chums and larger springs get the needle nose to remove the hook. Most of the time it just slides right out. Sometimes when you pinch your barb you are left with the remnance of a barb (as the barb itself breaks off) which can make it difficult at times to remove the hook quickly.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
I've usually never had a problem of that happening with the better grade hooks I use. A cheaper hook will bend rather than snap off when you go to remove the barb ........ that can be trouble.

GOFISH 8)

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Naturally would only use this contraption on springs, dogs, sockeye and wild coho. All of which
can be pretty hard to tail at times.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
try using the belly technique it works for all species of salmon. i have no problems getting the hook out by hand even on them teethy chums which can be scary if its in their tongue amongst all those fangs. they hurt i have had one on the stave punchture the back of my hand and my thumb trying to get a hook out before i figured out how to self release fish easier. of course there is always fish that are more difficult than others and releasing is always done best with another set of hands.

so glad to be back ;D

HOOK

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Keep in mind that regardless of what species you have caught, once the fish feels the rocks in shallow water it will panic and "flip out"...often if you are able to keep a fish in about 1.5-2 feet of water it will stay calmer than if you guide it into 6-10 inches of water at you feet.

If you keep it from feeling those rocks on its belly it will often calm down for a second or two, this is your window of opportunity to quickly grab its tail. Once that is achieved you're less likely to snap your leader. Grabbing the line is sometimes the only option, but probably more than half the time it'll snap before you can get the hook out, particularly with larger fish like chum.

Try stepping into slightly deeper water and meeting the fish part way, you just might find it'll reduce the number of times you snap your leader just before you give the fish it's freedom. Otherwise, with larger fish, it is best for both the fisherman and the fish if you have someone tail it for you...

Good luck,

rib

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Given the right situation and conditions...I'll agree as well to keep the fish in the water and off the shore
is an advantage in calming the fish before unhooking. There are places where this simply is not possible
and those are the situations in which we are discussing. ;)

· Registered
452 Posts
If I happen to be tying the fly/hook, I like to pinch the barb off before I even tie it. Nothing like tying up a fairly labour intensive fly like a muddler only to have the hook snap when it comes time to pinch it!! :wallbash:

· Registered
1,199 Posts
japander said:
If I happen to be tying the fly/hook, I like to pinch the barb off before I even tie it. Nothing like tying up a fairly labour intensive fly like a muddler only to have the hook snap when it comes time to pinch it!! :wallbash:
I always pinch my barbs as soon as they are taken out of the package - before I even put them in my box. Or better yet buy the barbless ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.