BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Stone shed some light on this topic awhile back but can't seem to find it. Here's the context of my question.

On page 9 of the Provincial Freshwater Regs it states that it is "unlawful to use barbless hooks or a hook with more than one point (eg. treble hook) in any stream in B.C. On page 10 of the BC Tidal Water Regs is says "barbless hooks are required for all salmon fishing (plus cuttthroat and steelhead. It goes on to say that "both single and treble barbless are acceptable."

Now on page 22 in the Provincial Regs (Region 2), it says that their regs apply above the tidal boundaries and the tidal regs below.

So, here's my question. Is it acceptable to use a barbless treble hook at Brownsville Bar (below the Patullo Bridge) to target steelhead, dollies, cutts and sturgeon?

The reason I ask is there was a fellow fishing there the other day using a double leader, both with a barbless treble hook. He caught a steelhead and a dolly (not at the same time!). He kept the steelhead but released the dolly. He said it was catch and release for the dolly. I asked about his gear set up and he said he was in compliance. He also said he fished for sturgeon using the same rig but with heavier line etc.

I am trying to findout which regs take precedence here and where it says dollies are non retention in tidal streams.

·
Registered
954 Posts
See if this helps. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=108146&ID=recreational
This is copied from the notice - Page 10 Bullet 2 should read: Barbless hooks are required for all salmon
fishing (plus cutthroat trout and steelhead). Both single and treble barbless
hooks are acceptable except in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. So by what this is saying he was in the wrong for using trebles.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I forgot about the online correction to the Tidal Water Regs. This serves as a good reminder to all that you need to check the paper version of the salmon regs, then cross reference it to the provincial regs and then to be sure check all online updates before you fish!

Bottom line for salmon, cutthroat and steelhead in tidal portion of the Fraser = single barbless only! Does this apply to Sturgeon in the tidal portion of the Fraser?

How about retention of dollies and steelhead in the tidal Fraser? Where can I find this info?

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this apply to Sturgeon in the tidal portion of the Fraser?
According to the tidal regs, one can fish dollies and sturgeon using a barbless treble, but it is catch and release for sturgeon and dollies unless there are hatchery dollies around which I don't think there are.

If you catch a hatchery steelhead, cuttie or salmon caught using this rig you must release however. Is this an accurate interpretation of the regs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.