BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this bulletin on a light post the other day. It's this thing about saving our rivers for the future...

"Right now the BC Government is poised to transfer ownership rights to over 500 wild and scenic parts of BC Rivers. Private power projects will then be built on BC Rivers to generate energy British Columbia doesn’t need."

http://publicpowerbc.ca/

Unbelievable... :(

·
Registered
695 Posts
reelangler said:
I found this bulletin on a light post the other day. It's this thing about saving our rivers for the future...

"Right now the BC Government is poised to transfer ownership rights to over 500 wild and scenic parts of BC Rivers. Private power projects will then be built on BC Rivers to generate energy British Columbia doesn’t need."

i would disagree about us not needing more power as the population has
grown so has the demand for power and the gen stations won't be able to keep up the constant stream that everyone needs why do you think that hydro is pushing for energy conservation by asking us to use the low wattage bulbs and to business to swap over to electronic ballasts in their buildings for addtional savings.I don't agree about them using all that beautiful scenic parts of the river but we would all cry about not having enough pwr or surges which noone likes if they don't something about it.

cheers
scruffy

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
agreed... BUT! they shouldnt be using important salmon rivers to make these things... look what happened to the alouette. Huge runs of sockeye, coho and steelhead used to pass through there every year until they put the damn in... we cant afford to have that happen again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
the rivers near by the area are the only choices other wise it's clear cutting to bring in high voltage lines on towers to a substation to transform the pwr for consumer use.
Either way it's damaging the enviroment and i dont agree with it but the demand by population dictates the needs.

scruffy

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
scruffy said:
reelangler said:

i would disagree about us not needing more power as the population has
grown so has the demand for power and the gen stations won't be able to keep up the constant stream that everyone needs why do you think that hydro is pushing for energy conservation by asking us to use the low wattage bulbs and to business to swap over to electronic ballasts in their buildings for addtional savings.I don't agree about them using all that beautiful scenic parts of the river but we would all cry about not having enough pwr or surges which noone likes if they don't something about it.

cheers
scruffy
Hydro, what an animal. I have had the pleasure learning a lot about hydro over the last few years as a part of my job. We don't have any issues with energy in BC yet. BC Hydro sells a lot of thier energy to the states. So they ask us in BC to be more energy efficient and say they it is really needed. Well chew on this, if we in BC conserve say 30% of our electricity usage as a part of energy conservation, then BC Hydro has 30% more electricity to sell. They try and portray themselves as caring for the environment but only do so because it is great PR for the company. Would you try and conserve your energy for the sole reason that Hydro can make more money? Probably not. We will conserve our energy as it does help with the Bills. But that saved energy is only going out the door anyways.

Soon enough with the population growth we will need more Power Plants to create a sufficient flow of electricity. but right now we are in no need. Ever notice that the Burrard Thermal Plant never runs.....because they don't need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.