BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :
I am looking for anyone who can tell me anything about steelhead on Queen Charlottes.....?
I am planning to go in late NOvember and would like to get some info.....rivers? fly patterns? good time? better time of year?

thanks.....speyce_cadet

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fish the Tlell & Yakoun Rivers and Copper Creek.......others a bit later. Late Nov. is a little early, especially with the runs all over the province seeming to be running several weeks later than historically. Im hoping to head there in Mid-January....should be lots of fish by then and deer is still open....so its going to be a fishing/bow-hunting trip :D

Also if your taking the ferry from Rupert.......be willing to wait days for the ferry to be able to make it there and back (ie: dont go on a stict timeline) as the channel can get very rough in fall/winter and they wont sail. I waited 3 days once and when ferry had just got across the straite it got turned back by the Coast gaurd to help resue a downed troller. Went to Skeena/Kitimat instead.

Flies: Bring big, small, bright, dark. Water conditions can change quickly, so you have to be prepared. Most of Charlotte Rivers are a tea colour. The steelhead are plenty, big and scrappy.

Have a great trip

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tach: Thanks for the advice and info.
I know the Ferry can be rough across Hecate Strait. And I will bring lots of flies.......the bush usually eats its share instead of the fish.
The trickiest part will likely be the highway drive from Northern Alberta across to Rupert.....lots of snow up North and icy roads.

I would like to choose the time and season but when you get a chance to go.....ya gotta go.....
Like you said.....there's lots of water in the Skeena and tribs. to toss flies.
What would be the best river for this time of year for Steelhead?
Kitimat, main Skeena, Kispiox, Bulkley/Morice, ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Skeena area

I just spoke with a friend in Terrace who tells me that the Lakelse is hot this time of year. As it has a fairly large lake at its head it is also less likely to blow out or be overly silty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gneissone...

I know the Lakelse as I have tossed flies at the Coho there on a couple of occaisions - both times in early October and have fished the upper canyon.
Thanks a lot.....nice thing about that area ....there always seems to be fish in the system....
I used to live there back in '78 but the wife didn't like it....guess I was fishiing too much....

cheers.....I'll be opening the Oban if I catch a fish...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts