BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quennell Lake - June 9

Didn't go to Spider but went to Quennell Lake near Cedar instead.
Was pretty slow and big algae bloom going on. I dont' know this lake very well but fished south of ZZ campground.

I hooked two smallmouth. The first one came in and released. About 35 cms ( 14"). The 2nd one was much larger and pulled some line off the reel.
It eventually broke my 4x tippett. Tried to play it in but those s.m.bass are pretty impressive. WoW !! Would like to find some more of those.
Tried some wooly buggers and leeches but no takes other than those two.
New game for me...first smallmouth I've ever caught on the fly or otherwise.
I used a fast sinking tip- too fast I think as it was hanging up all the time on the bottom and weeds.
I will try a floating line and try near the surface next time.

Anyone know where there is a public access to that lake? ZZ campground let me use their beach for a few bucks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Quennell Lake - June 9

Used to fish Quennel all the time for small mouth bass. Their was always an algae bloom like pea soup going on. Never fly fished back then but all we used were poppers on the surface and did really well. Try a popper fly with a floating line. I'm going to try it as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.