BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well obviously I have been neglecting my duties at BCFR. I have been nose to the grindstone with work and grabbing a fishing trip when possible. Haven't taken the time to drop in here. Keep getting emails reminding me but never seem to find the time for it.
Today I am trying to kill some time before sneaking out of the office for another week of fishing at Quesnel Lake. Since my first posts asking you for help for my first trip to Quesnel Lake 2 1/2 years ago, we have pummelled the lake with a total of 30 full days of fishing! The first trip was an adventure, but since then we have been able to nail down a few techniques that have produced for us.

Spring (last two weeks of May) has been the majority of fishing. Lakers in the Spring were surprisingly deep. 39* to 44* surface temperature, the beasts were lying around on the bottom, anywhere from 90 to 150 feet. Trolling just over their heads with large Apex lures (Blue/Black/Purple, anything dark) started boating from 5lb - 20lb lake trout at a rate of about 4/hour. Trolling 2" bright Apex a mile behind the boat off a 10-15 ft deep downrigger started hitting large rainbows at about 1/hour. Needless to say we enjoyed ourselves.

A couple of quick weekend trips in late summer had us playing in the stumps around the mouth of the Horsefly. Had some great luck on the bull trout. Nothing nearing the size we pull out of the rivers up here in the fall, but I am sure they are there. We just didn't land 'em. Took some VERY solid hits that parted my 4lb Fusion.

This will be the first Fall attempt. We should get a full week of fishing in. I may be wrong but I am expecting the rainbow to be hiding a lot deeper and the lakers to be a lot slower ( should have had a good summer of feeding, unlike the famished beasts that eat everything in sight after ice out ). Hoping to track the kokanee schools better this trip. Had a bit of luck chasing them in May but they should be easier now.

Any suggestions from guys that have experience on this huge lake are more than welcome. We always try whatever advice is offered. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I will try to post results and updates a bit more regularly than once every two years.

Special Mention: goes to Fishhunter327 for his initial advice on locations.
No-one ever likes to suggest their own fishing hole but he offered a few. Although we have expanded on the advice he gave good advice and got us started. Thanks Fishhunter.:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good to hear from you willissxdc, heading up the north arm on Quesnel lake this weekend myself.September can be good rainbow fishing.
I am going to try some of your colours and see what happens.Firetiger and watermelon Apex,s have been working best for us this summer,Good Luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd like to fish up in Rainbow alley some time, but not my neck of the woods. Appreciate the update, don't take so long for the next post. We appreciate reading fishing stories.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'd like to fish up in Rainbow alley some time, but not my neck of the woods. Appreciate the update, don't take so long for the next post. We appreciate reading fishing stories.
:cheers:
Isn't "rainbow alley" up by the babine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been up to Quesnel lake a number of times, big Lakes can be intimidating, but don,t let this stop you from fishing this lake. Fish in front of the resorts your 1st time up. Talk to people and see what other places you can fish. North arm is known as a place where the big ones are but I have found no difference. Apex's are the norm here, fish these just fast enough for proper action. Spoons work good to, ( bigger than what you would normally use). They say that a fast trolling speed works on this lake, I say rubbish!!! BUT if you are using Apex's, you will have to troll fast enough for proper action and I think that is the only reason why some people say you have to troll fast. I troll slow when not using Apex's just like I do at any other Lake and catch fish, good hunting!!! Keep in mind that all rainbows over 50 cm must be released and single barbless, check your regs!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have been up to Quesnel lake a number of times, big Lakes can be intimidating, but don,t let this stop you from fishing this lake. Fish in front of the resorts your 1st time up. Talk to people and see what other places you can fish. North arm is known as a place where the big ones are but I have found no difference. Apex's are the norm here, fish these just fast enough for proper action. Spoons work good to, ( bigger than what you would normally use). They say that a fast trolling speed works on this lake, I say rubbish!!! BUT if you are using Apex's, you will have to troll fast enough for proper action and I think that is the only reason why some people say you have to troll fast. I troll slow when not using Apex's just like I do at any other Lake and catch fish, good hunting!!! Keep in mind that all rainbows over 50 cm must be released and SINGLE barbless, CHECK YOUR REGS!!!
Hey skimy you should check the regs they have changed this year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey skimy you should check the regs they have changed this year.
Yes but they have not changed enough, you still have to release rainbows over 50cm. They do this because the Quesnel Lake rainbows do not mature until later in their life as compared to other rainbows. They feel that if they do not do this, it will reduse the larger size fish in the Lake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts