BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All...

So I was testing out a new sink line on my fly rod yesterday off some rocks at the Cable Pools. I managed to hook into and play an approximately 40 - 55CM fish, that at first I thought was a Coho by the way mashed my little olive green leech.

Problem was, when I managed to get it close to the rocks, it rolled, and all I saw were green back, tonnes of black spots, what looked like Rainbow sides and reddish hued cheeks, similar to what a Steelhead would look like.

Being unable to positively identify the species, I managed to wet release the fish (without taking a swim as well), and it moseyed off on its way still full of energy and happy to be off a line. My motto is, If I cannot identify it or my freezer is full, I'm not keeping it, so I didn't.

BUT my question to you folks are;

- Would there be steelhead in there at this time of year?
- Would there be Rainbow trout in there at this time of year?

Over the years, I have caught many Rainbows as well as Coho's, but NONE that looked quite like this one. If I had the cable to my digital camera handy, I would upload a picture, but I do not, so I cannot.

I just HOPE that I just caught my first steelhead, AND released it safely... OR that or I caught the biggest Rainbow I have EVER SEEN in the Capilano, or any of the North Shore Rivers. Because, I tell you all THAT WAS NO COHO JACK!

Thanks for the Insight!

Jah

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rib,

Thanks for responding.

1) Steelhead picture, no doubt. The fish I caught was not as dark a green of hue, and the red "racing stripe" was not pronounced as much.

2) Pretty much Identical except for the lack of Second fin across the back, I can't remember the name, denoting hatchery fish. I will not forget the rosy cheeks lookin' at me while I fetched my fly. The rosy blushing cheeks are there though.

3) Nope, not even close really. Colors to light, no rosy cheeks, and too rounded of a nose.

If I hadn't just moved into a new place a week ago, I would have originally posted a picture, but weeding through MEGA boxes to find the stupid cable, is just not an option at this point!

Jah

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
The first one only had a greenish hue due to the early hour it was taken...lighting or something...the rest of the pics taken that day were fine...keep that in mind and take another look...

Also, try to remember what the spotting looked like, was it all through the body as in pic number 1, or was it basically across the sides and back mostly, like pic # 2...

You mention a lack of "adipose" fin...if that was indeed the case, then I'll say this much...the answers to the two questions in your original post are yes, and yes...but the adipose missing should point you towards the first of those...

:cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
dereke said:
That first pick is such a beaut rib......
Yeah Dereke...it was a real gem...I only regret I didn't get it on the fly...kinda made me feel dirty... :-[

Sorry JR, don't let the sidebar stuff distract you...let's figure out what you caught the other day shall we...?

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ribby, those are great shots!....Jah_Rasta.........I am just curious as to exactly where this fish was caught? Faster water or slow? deep or shallow? What size was the fly you were using?
There is some doubt in my mind that you caught a "resident 'bow" in the Cap. of that size and at this time of the year. However, I would be leaning heavily towards a late entry winter run steelhead, likely a fish that entered the system in April/May, spawned and has mended and is just "hanging around" waiting for the right water conditions to return to the ocean.
It is also possible you caught a very large searun cutthroat. They do have a habit of hanging around the estuaries and making short pilgrimages upstream. They, too are spotty, can have rouge cheeks and are voracious feeders. With the lower water conditions, right now, my $$$ is on one of the above until I see a picture.........Ortho

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rib I am still totally in love with that fish... You are such a lucky b#$$tard ;)

As for the other guy's fish, I say summer run! I wish more people were like you... Very good fish handling and judgement. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would say a small summer steel. Yes that bow in ribby's shot was a nice one, I was there when he caught it and also managed to catch it (or one just like it) out of the same spot a week later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.