BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to try it but have a few questions:

1) do you use single eggs or a small cluster?
2) how many eggs go into the bag?
3) When drift fishing, how do you attach the roe bag to the hook? Just hook it on or attach it somehow?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1) do you use single eggs or a small cluster?
Normally I use a small cluster of eggs in my sacs.

2) how many eggs go into the bag?
A lot of the time this answer will depend on water clarity. i usually tie up a selection of bags that include anywhere from 2 eggs to 6 eggs in a sac. If the water gets dirty, use a larger sac. When its clear use a smaller sac.

3) When drift fishing, how do you attach the roe bag to the hook? Just hook it on or attach it somehow?
I attach the sac 2 different ways depending on how I feel. Most of the time I use a bait loop and put the sac in and tighten it up as if I was fishing with wool. Other times I will slide the sac through the hook, just below the knot and careful not to pop an egg, then I slide it up the shank while sticking the hook through the lower side of the sac. the final outcome of this method you will have the roe sac placed on the inside of the hook on the shank.

Good Luck

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I typically put 3 or 4 single eggs in one roe sack for steelhead, 4-6 for salmon... tie it uptight and trim the excess mesh right down...you can put little cluster in there too...I may do that this time around...
As for attaching the roe bags to the hook, I tie my typical leader, with an egg loop knot, then slide the hook through the mesh of the bag just under the knot so as not to puncture any of the eggs, then slide the bag up to the eye of the hook, looping the line from the egg loop knot around the roe sack and then cinch it tight...it keeps the roe sack up tight to the eye, exposing the hook nicely and keeps from having the roe sack fly off while casting. I find it to be quite a durable set up...
Rib

Hah! LoL...we must've posted at the same time Trav...otherwise I wouldn't have just repeated pretty much what you did... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Here's a little trick that is easy and WORKS...When you tie up the roe bags and you use....say hot pink spawn sacs. Try using a "tethered" (very thin strands) of Chartruse wool and tie that right into the sac. No specific placement required, but does add another dimension and vis in the water..........You can also add a very SMALL amt. in the bait loop as well.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven't used single eggs for salmon this fall but I normally use them for steelhead in the winter.

I too make up several sizes: from 3 to 6 eggs in the sac.

Same as Rib, I put the hook through the sac AND hold it with the bait loop.
Also use a tiny tuft of wool.

I have also been known to put the odd Jennie egg in the sac ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here's a little trick that is easy and WORKS...When you tie up the roe bags and you use....say hot pink spawn sacs. Try using a "tethered" (very thin strands) of Chartruse wool and tie that right into the sac. No specific placement required, but does add another dimension and vis in the water..........You can also add a very SMALL amt. in the bait loop as well.......Ortho 8)
great tip, never would have thought of that

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new entry into the use of roe sacs for salmon. I recently purchased some salted roe using egg loop knot was not very successful in keeping roe on hook, lost it many times while casting. The guy at the bait shop said don't use mesh sacs as salmon don't like them?? OK what materiel is used to make sacs? Will just wrapping in spider thread work? Appreciate your responses. Thanks

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The guy at the bait shop said don't use mesh sacs as salmon don't like them??
Well... if not in a sac the eggs fall of the hook faster and you use up more bait more quickly so you have to go back and buy more, more frequently....
Hmm...
Or maybe it's just a misunderstanding.???

A fine supple mesh pre-cut from a tackle shop or in sheets from a craft store works fine.
Spider wire is great stuff (IMO) and often, I'll add a pea sized piece of prawn or two in the sac to help it last a cast or two longer should the eggs collapse.:cheers:
(some use whatever fishy bits :prawn, squid, roe,....in there sacs and these are often referred to as a garbage bags and it's basically for the scent in a roe cluster sized bag)
:2cents:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Try this out. I haven't used bags since I was shown this about a dozen years ago. Look for whole large fresh egg skiens cured in borax or procure(preferred). Spread them out on a piece of plywood or screen. Cut into quarter sized pieces. Let air dry in a cool dry place untill they toughen up to desired consistency. Use spider thread(not too much)and an egg loop to keep egg cluster on the shank of the hook. I use red Gamakatsu hooks. This works well if your not trying to power cast across the river. And no little red/pink/orange bags all over the place. As mentioned previously, a "little" wool in contrasting colors can help too. You can add scent if desired. I don't but the fellow that taught me to cure eggs does.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ive also Pro Cured my roe , then put it into the sack.
When Pro Curing skeins of roe, I find to have a few singles laying around with all the mixing etc.
I use these in sacks , and have had luck with them.

The only thing I do different them most have posted above is, I will put my hook through an egg in the sack to let a bit more scent out , my :2cents:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The guy at the bait shop said don't use mesh sacs as salmon don't like them??
There may be a little bit of truth to this statement but it's mostly an exaggeration as lots of fishermen use sacs successfully all the time. There's the argument that loose roe gives a more natural presentation and/or milks better etc and I wont argue with that. However I would counter that the advantages of using sacs easily makes up for any shortcoming.

it lasts longer on the hook. You cant catch fish if your line's not in the water and by using sacs my line is in the water more often simply because I'm not re-baiting every 5 casts. Nothing worse than putting on a beautiful, juicy piece of roe just to watch it fly off on the first cast :mad:. Cast as hard as you want with a sac and it'll stay put. Float went down and you set the hook but missed the fish? With loose roe you'll probably be re-baiting, with sacs just reel in and cast again.

Which means it's more economical. A jar of sacs (one skein or less) is enough for a days fishing. I dislike prepping roe so anything to reduce that time spent is a bonus in my book. Its also easier on the wallet for those that prefer to buy roe instead of curing their own.

It's less messy. Those guys where literally every piece of gear they own is stained pink are inviariably loose roe fishermen. And I mean everything. Waders, cork, reels, jackets, vest, fingers, you name it. Not that I'm criticizing them, if that doesnt bother you then great, but the thought of all my nice stuff perma-stained pink, red, and orange. no thanks :p

Plus you can also make use of single eggs so as not to waste any roe. I actually prefer to cure roe as singles as I find it's an easier and more consistent cure method but then you are committed to using sacs.

For roe I use sacs almost exclusively, so I am obviously biased, but IMHO you can rest assured that you are not handicapping yourself by not using loose roe. If anything I would argue that new roe fishermen are perfect candidates for using sacs so that they can spend more time drifting instead of re-baiting...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I guess the next thing Im thinking is, does the sack material do any harm to the fish when swallowed.

I ve seen countless people toss their used sacks into the river.
This goes for Sturgeon as well.
Something to think about Hmmmmmmm ???????

I guess the same would go for cured roe......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roe sacs

Thanks for the tips, will try mesh and spider thread shortly and let you know results

QUOTE=scissorbill;256801]Well... if not in a sac the eggs fall of the hook faster and you use up more bait more quickly so you have to go back and buy more, more frequently....
Hmm...
Or maybe it's just a misunderstanding.???

A fine supple mesh pre-cut from a tackle shop or in sheets from a craft store works fine.
Spider wire is great stuff (IMO) and often, I'll add a pea sized piece of prawn or two in the sac to help it last a cast or two longer should the eggs collapse.:cheers:
(some use whatever fishy bits :prawn, squid, roe,....in there sacs and these are often referred to as a garbage bags and it's basically for the scent in a roe cluster sized bag)
:2cents:[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.