BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about centerpin rods.I got my first cp setup 2yrs ago.It was a 10'6"trophy xl 10-20lb line strength with an Akuma Aventa cp.I found the setup adequate until I made the mistake of buying a used,custom built,mint condition Sage2106lb(brown blank) with an almost perfect condition Milner Kiingfisher attached to it for $650.I couldn't say no. ;D ;D

Needless to say I have an Akuma backup reel but I broke the trophy xl this November. The trophy was a very strong rod and was able manhandle large springs and Squamish chum but compared to the 2106 it felt like a stiff piece of plywood when playing coho or steel.The 2106 feels way too light for manhandling springs or chum so I'm reluctant to use it during salmon season.Steel only. Yah,you can try to target coho but inevitably you catch a spring or three.

My question is am I being too cautious?

I'm curently looking for a replacement for the trophy xl for larger fish and was hoping to find a decent used Sage3106 or 3113....Anyone???....Anyone??? ;) ;D

Are the Sages that much better than the other companies' equivalents or are we paying more for mythology rather than practical reality?

I know from firsthand experience that the extra money paid for the Kingfisher over the Okuma is definately worth it.The quality of the materials used in the Kingfisher is 10x that of the Okuma.Is this the case with Sages vs. other top rate brands? Loomis,Rainshadow,etc.

Any input from those experienced with the various brands would be greatly appreciated.

TIA Kevin

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey mojo7 my fav is the 2106lb.I use this rod every where except the Fraser,Skeena,and Thompson.I like the action of it.Too cautious I think so.The 3113lb is a tad stiffer action not much though.I am a bigtime sage guy love the rods.Thats just my opinion ;D cheers sage 8)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sage make nice rods, just like all the top brands. They are all made from quality graphite and are VERY similar in quality. I would not hesitate to fish Sage, G Loomis, Lamiglass(great rods), St Croix,Talon, and a few others.
I have also heard good things about Rainshadow rods, but have yet to test one.
Warranty is first and foremost and all these brands offer lifetime ones. Second would be feel and that is personal.
Next would be looks and that also is personal.
As for beefy rods, it really depends on the application. I use very lightweight "Rapala" 8.5 foot rods for Chinook fishing the Fraser(from the boat not bar fishing) and they are fabulous, extremely strong butt section with a super sensitive tip for back trolling. However I would never use these for float fishing or barfishing, as they would be horrible.

If you are looking for a strictly float fishing rod for big Chinooks, Chums and Big steelhead, go with a longer rod in the 12 foot range, like a Sage 4120 or similar model from the other top companies.
I have a 12 foot Talon, that is every bit as good as the Sage 4120 and probably stronger. Turning big fish in big rivers is no problem with this stick. I have it now sitting in my rod room collecting dust as I have fully converted to even longer rods with less backbone for my floatfishing needs. The new weapon of choice is a 4 piece Sage spey rod blank , which is a 9 weight, built into a pin rod, awesome rod I must say.

For the record I am selling the Talon at a very reasonable price and have other pin rods for sale as well, more on the small river style. All are custom built mostly by Peter M from Freds, who builds a fine rod.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hey Mojo,

I've been using a brown blank 3113lb for a long time now, and agree completely with sage2106lb, love the sage product! ;D
It has the power necessary to handle the springs, but as with you and your 2106, there are times when I get that little bit of concern going in the back of my mind...
You should make a few calls and find out if the warrantee is still good on your used custom built, contact the guy who built it if you can, and/or talk to Sage themselves or some local shops, and that should ease your mind. Mine is custom built also, and it is covered under the lifetime warrantee. My understanding is the guarantee extends to you even though you bought it second hand and custom built, just remember if it does break, from what I was told, you have to send in all the peices...don't let a broken tip slide down the mainline and sink into the river!!!! That's what I was told anyway. I think your caution is understandable, but like sage2106lb said, you can use that rod just about anywhere and it will handle it. Find out the details of your warrantee, that should make your decision easier. Sage makes a great product and the lifetime warrantee is a major bonus...
There are some other companies that also offer the lifetime warrantee...you may find a rod that you feel comfortable "manhandling" springs with, if your still concerned about the 2106.
Let us know what you find out, and what you decide on...
Hope that helps,
Rib

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i as well use a 3113 however mine is a Temple Fork built on a lamiglass blank so i was told

i manhandled some big springs this year on that thing as it was when i bought it never worried about breaking it once and i was into one in the 60lb range :eek:. nice and sensitive with backbone when you need it

got it at Army & Navy for around 200$ only other place i have seen with them is Reaction at Whatcom Rd. exit

tight lines

HOOK

G

·
i have the big 4120 and its great for springs on the pin, but i just got a factory 3113mb that sage makes, and wow what a rod, great action with plenty of backbone. if i were u i would lean to the factory sage rods rather than the old beer bottle coloured ones, just because if you break your factory rod you can replace the whole thing and its tied ready to go, if u break the old ones they give you a blank that you have to get tied add shipping and it sets u back aways, i still havent taken my 4100 in to get a new tip, not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was looking at centerpin rods online, because I have to purchase one myself, and came across the berry's bait and tackle web site and this is what i found....

http://www.berrysbait.com/1/13/08/02/1000.htm

Just wondering what all of you think of this. i was looking at the sage 3113. Would this setup be a good one or would purchasing a 3113 blank and getting it put together by someone else besides berries be a better idea.

·
Registered
695 Posts
hub's sports in abbotsford sell' s the factory rod for $549.00,as for a custom built rod [email protected] fishing,[email protected] tackel both do awsome bulids.oh almost forgot [email protected] rods. don't get me wrong a custom built is a nice rod but the difference is when you break it,the cost will be more cause your gonna have to also pay a re build fee.i was in the same situation a little while ago and i opt for the factory sage as i feel your paying $600 plus said and done why would you want to pay more later when you break it.There's a shipping fee of $60 i belive and that's it for the factory replacement where's it more for the custom.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I recently got a 3113LB blank,and is being built right now,and the reason why i bought the 3113LB blank instead of the factory 3106 LB is the action of the rod i want for the centerpin.
I did try a lot of difference pin rods,like TFO, trophy plus and the new recent models,g-loomis ,lamiglas ect,They all seems to have a lot of backbone for my liking,so that why i decided to hunt for a 3113LB blank(is hard to find now).
But this is all personal preference...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just got a custom built rainshadow 13ft 9wt spey blank tied up as a float rod. Ideal for all steelheading in the province except for the thompson and skeena. I fished with it on the thompson and made out okay but if i had of hooked a big fish in faster water i would have been in trouble. With that being said i also had the 14ft 10wt in my hand which would be more than adequate for the thompson, skeena and other larger rivers. I got my rod tied up by Terry Skipper @ Reaction on whatcom did a great job. The total cost was $425 with top of the line guides and reel seat. The cost of the blank was only $119 an awesome price for a great blank. Just my 2 cents. I strongly recommend this blank for the cost. It is comparable to sage rods in its action aswell.

Tight Lines, Wes Roffey

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm very happy with the rod Rib. I am on the Shimano field staff and always use top of the line gear and this rod passes the test. For myself I always found the sage rods a little heavy and a little sloppy, but they all have a perfect bend to them. I just can't justify the cash myself. Still looking for my first Vedder steel on the new rod.

Tight Lines, Wes Roffey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts