BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on my 2nd years of rod building where I've made some fly, small lake casting, mooching and trolling rods, so am very comfortable with the construction of a solid rod. However, this summer I made it a habit of finding old rods from family and friends that they don't want any more so I can clean them up. I have about 15 or 20 rods that now need some attention. I ahve some questions about this though, wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Reel seats - anyone have any tricks to getting old seats that seem cemented on off while try to preserve them? Lots of very intersting ones that I would like to refinish and reuse!

Old varnish. Many of the rods are chipped and losing their shine. I know there is a marine vanish that has been recommended to me to use to "reshine" them, but my question is whether or not there is a paint out there that I could use to cover the blank before I add cork, eye, etc. I would assume this paint need to be quite flexible.

Think that's it for now! Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
148 Posts
If your not going to use the rod you want the seat off. Just cut it and bore it out with a drill.
The best I can come up with if you want both to rebiuld is........ Use your handle clamp. Strip every thing off of it to the seat and tighten until it releases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.