BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to the campbell river area in about a month and my stay will be just over a week! I know i have a wide variaty of rivers to fish but i'm keen on hitting the Quinsam for sure, anyone know where i can find out the numbers of fish returning from years past on this river? Now i'm not sure if the oyster is closed for fishing for steelhead, i'll check the regs on that one but this is anouther awesome river i had in mind! The Gold river now this is on my to do list for fishing but i know nothing about it! is it a good drift river or will i do ok from shore? and last but not least the Campbell river! it's size kinda makes it hard to fish but i know it has a desent amount of steelhead at times! any info on the above rivers would be great! thanx!

C.K.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Luckey bastard!! ;D ;D Wish I could help out, I would love to hit some ribers up there, be sure to report when you get back, thanks. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Quinsam is closed for the season. There is talk about keeping it open next winter. It should be in next springs regs. As for numbers of returns, try the hatchery. They are the ones who monitor the fish trap. And they may have some numbers for you. Those fish have to go though the Campbell Before they hit the Quinsam. The Gold is driftable but can be tricky and there is some no go areas. Like the Muchulat down to town, and the camp ground thought the canyon. I would get guide for at least one drift first. I have heard of some good and some bad days this year. I have also heard it has not cleared up since the november storms too, no longer that Gin clear the gold is known for. A buddy said the Heber (closed also) has changed alot with the land slides and flooding this year. Be sure to put some pics up with your report when you get back. Good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey coho killer. I am heading to Campbell River tomorrow until Thurs for work will get only 1 day of fishing in though. I will hit the muchalet and the gold. I will report when I get back.

Tight Lines, Wes Roffey

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome thanx guys! i did not know the quinny was closed! good thing i asked here first! no word on the oyster river? one whole week of fishing the island from sun rise to sun set, can't wait! i've decided to visit a friend who lives near the cowichan river on my way back hopefully it's not closed as well! i'll take lots of pictures of my surroundings and maybe some steel as well! thanx again! good luck nates on your trip tomorrow look forward to reading your report on your days events!

C.K.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I grew up in Campbell River but unfortunatley I left town some time ago, my brother still lives there and 30 years later still the best place to go is right where the Quinsam meets the Campbell it is very easy to find but usually several other fishers there.

good luck

EZ

·
Registered
338 Posts
Got a call this morning, and it seems like I'll be on the Gold this Friday or Saturday, followed by a couple of days on the Stamp. It shoud be a good week.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you VI FLY!I still can't beleave the quinny is closed for steelhead! This is the first river i caught my piece of steel christmas morrning 1993 on a jenson egg wool combo! No word on the oyster river yet?

C.K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello people im new in here im from south wales uk and looking possibly for a 2 week stay in and around b.c fishing as you know i need to do this on my own no guides or more expense so if you could tell me of where to fish and if possible any place reasonably priced to stay local information is a lot easier than the glossy brouchers so i would reaaly appreciate your time to answer my request cheers and tight lines

dave

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Where are you staying
What kind of fishing? salt water or fresh?
How long are you staying?
Solo or a group?
How much do you want to spend?
Plenty of opportunity for fishing.
Just depends on time and $$$$

Ortho 8)

G

·
EZ Rolling said:
I grew up in Campbell River but unfortunatley I left town some time ago, my brother still lives there and 30 years later still the best place to go is right where the Quinsam meets the Campbell it is very easy to find but usually several other fishers there.

good luck

EZ
My father and mother in law live in cambell river, and i have only fly fished the mouth of the quinsam where it meets the campbell, and i have had a ton of fish out there, even these so called resident steelhead that are supposed to be hard to catch, i got 4 of them in about an hour ranging from 10-15 pounds

G

·
The are huge hatchery fish big enough to be classified as steelhead, they were intended to be release and head to the ocean, i caught one and went up to the quinsam hatchery cause i wasnt sure what it was and i explained what it looked like and i got a few of them , and they said that they are steelhead that never left, and there have been a few caught, im not sure if it was luck but i caught a few in one day

They are a really big Rainbow Trout that looks like a steelhead, all the steelhead we see posted on the net here thats what they looked like just not as clean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts