BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week and a half I managed to build 2 rods. A 6wt 9'6'' for my brother's birthday, and a 6'6'' 2wt for myself. Both Rainshadow RX7's. I have some pics of the 2 wt.

Very nice , crisp action to these rods. I was laying out 30'-35' casts with the 2wt using a double taper this afternoon. I was pretty impressed. Gonna be my #1 Skagit River rod.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like a sweet rod Professori! Just curious, what type of fish would you be targeting with that light of a rod and what type of flies? Also seems pretty short. Is there a reason for your choice of length? Just a newbie with lots of questions. ???

Cheers! :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on using it as a small stream rod, for rainbows and cutts. It is a short rod, but 2 wts usually are shorter. They are used on small streams, often with overhanging, or very close brush, so the shorter length keeps busshy encounters to a minimum. Because of the size of the stream, the casting distance is often pretty short as well. This will be a dry fly or soft hackle wet fly rod primarily. Not enough beef to handle bead headed or weighted nymphs very well. A Skagit rainbow, or a St Marys cutthroat of 16" is going to be a challenge to this rod. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice_One said:
I believe the feather is hand painted and not real...
WRONG!!

chromer said:
Feathers look awesome. How hard is it to polymer over them? Do you have to apply a couple of coats? How do you keep the feather down before applying plymer?
First I lay out the feathers in a pattern that I find pleasing and then take a picture of them, so I can duplicate the pattern on the rod. Some people use water to wet the blank, but I put a dab of colour preserver on the blank and gently lay the feathers on the damp preserver. Once it has dried (maybe 5-10 minutes) I apply a coat of epoxy over the inlay and let it dry 24 hours. It may take 3 or more coats before the epoxy is smooth and deep enough to make the feathers look like they are part of the blank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.