BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a fun wade today :p For those of you out there wondering why the chedder is so "muddy" this is why...

The over all slide dimensions are about 100' wide, 75' deep, and 10' high. In the first pic just on the other side of the white water at the base of the log the slide is about 10' high. So happy ho hunting in tough conditions boys and girls. These conditions are gonna be around for longer than days, or weeks :'(

· Registered
876 Posts
Peter Buck works up at the hatchery, and wrote an explination on another site that I will copy and paste. Here it is :

"Crossed the river in late PM to check clay slide before heading home from work. The slide is very large and continues to slump into the river. Another large section broke off of the face today and
caused additional problems for anglers. Clarity will remain an issue for some time and will only worsen with the fall rains. The side channel hitting the clay slide was blocked off in 1990 and has
taken the river till now to break through the **** and reestablish itself in the old channel. I estimated that about 25% of the water is running down this channel and 75% in the main river channel.
However, the river appears to be wanting to return to this channel and if this does happen we could be looking at some serious down time for anglers. It's just unfortunate that there are not funds
available to intervene when these events take place."

· Registered
151 Posts
Bummer.... That really sucks.

I hope this does not encourage snagging...

:(
Nicole

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can and more than likely will suffocate the eggs laid in the gravel. The fish will be more spread out and less likely to stack in pools, runs, pockets. So fishing will be difficult for most :D

· Registered
876 Posts
Shane said:
It can and more than likely will suffocate the eggs laid in the gravel. The fish will be more spread out and less likely to stack in pools, runs, pockets. So fishing will be difficult for most :D
Not to mention they can't see your bait unless it hits them in the face :wallbash: Time to pull out my size 80 kitimats and koho spoons :happy:

Im also guessing the fish will need to clean their gilld otherwise they may suffocate as well :'( I wonder what type of inpact this will have on the run if the water isn't in decent shape come egg laying time. :confused:

· Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the photos and the update.

This is the area of the Vedder that in years past, I used to be able to wade across and fish the other side of what used to be called the "Ranger Run". In reality, it was never the original ranger run, but this is what people used to call it. I can remember being in this same area several years ago during coho season when the river came up drastically, filling all of the river channel and washing out that area which is now your photoed clay bank. It used to be a treed bank, with room to stand and fish, but the river came and blew that whole area out. I remember watching the bank being undercut, then trees and cliffs being washed into the river. Rocks, boulders, giant cedars, clay, and rich brown soil were all being washed into the river and small tidal waves would wash across the river from the massive amounts of material falling in. It was quite exciting and sad at the same time as this was one of the areas I really liked to fish.

Will be interesting to see how it all "comes out in the wash" at the end of it all.

Dano

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Those are pretty crazy pics Shane. I remeber standing there last year watching chunks of clay the size of my head roll down all day and even those were loud enough. I cant evn imagine how loud the whole thing going would be. Thanks for the update.

· Registered
876 Posts
Its just below cement slab.... way up by the hatchery. LOTS of fish lay their eggs down in the lower river/mid river, in fact I think most of the fish do :wallbash:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.