BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding between a raven Matrix or Okuma raw II centerpin reels.

Pros cons?
All opinions will be helpful.

Trout

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have casted some friend's Okuma Raw-II and Aventa for a little bit. I own a Raven reel but not a Matrix so I cant speak to that specific model.

IMHO they are both very similar class of reel and I think performance wise there wont be a massive difference. Both will work just fine out of the box. Some factors you might want to consider:

spool diameter. Larger lets you retrieve more line per revolution. I think the Raw-II has a 41/2" spool vs the Matrix 4 3/8"

weight. speaks for itself, but less spool mass makes spin-up easier. Ported spools and reels are generally lighter. Cant find the weight of the Raw-II online but the Matrix is apparently 8.2oz which is quite light

fit and finish. you can often tell the difference between an entry level vs high end reel just in how tight the tolerances are and how precise the final product feels. Not that it will affect the reel's fish catching ability, but you can feel the difference. If you can find a shop that has both models in stock, go and play with them a bit. I'll bet one will just 'feel better' to you.

Something else to consider is that neither of those reels is likely to have great resale value so if you can find one on the used market you might save a fair chunk of change.

If you truly cant decide, go for the one that either looks better to you or costs less.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts