BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too much southern comfort in the hottub on thursday night prevented me from going to the vedder early as planned so grabbed the drift-rod and headed to the Stave to get rid of some roe too long in the beer-fridge. Got there about 9:30am and the Harvest Festival was in full swing.

Walked the west side partaking in the sight of a community consumed by the plenty of a Keta convention gone rave.

Never put the rod up instead helping land a few fish for old guys, observing all the different methods and gear...one guy with his young son under an umbrella while he short floated a spinner to a couple big chum.

Noticed a couple guys in a little channel hitting cuttys and coho jacks on 5-weights. Looked pretty fun to me so drove home and got my five weight.

Two hours later, no cutts, no jacks nuthin but a 14-inch pike-minnow while watchin three guys catch chum after chum in the main channel...finally i could take it no longer...by that time there were far less people there...4pm or so...lots of nice runs open...anyway those fish that are rolling just a rod length away from your feet...yes they are fine pacific keta too you guys and even if i only have the 5-weight with a floater...what the hell...i'm gonna release it anyway...so...rigged up a little egg pattern with a small shot weight and tossed it into the shallows behind everyone fishing the middle of the river........a couple snags a couple shakers and then...hooked to a fish...fair hooked i see after a roll and a run and so begins the great long hope that i'm hooked to a fish that wants to stay upriver.

Well of course it does because thirty minutes later the exhausted fish practically beaches itself for me and after a young guy tails it and i remove the keta-egg pattern from his lower gum i ask him, "if it was your fish would you keep it?" "you bet!" he says and I say, "well i'm lettin him go."

He swims off famously and the guy high fives me and I have a beer and a smoke and an old guy says he musta been 20 pounds but since i don't kill em i don't know but if i had to guess i'd say 15-17.

Man! I know for a fact that YOU OF ALL people know how lucky we are to live here! And I haven't even caught a sturgeon yet! NOR a T-river steelhead!

Get Out There and see all the good!

MM

p.s. little fenwick 5-weight and garage sale 3 1/4-inch daiwa that came with the floater.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fished the West side of the Stave on Sunday for about an hour. Hooked a little chum doe a couple of casts in on a short floated jig I tied. Also landed 3 coho, 2 on jigs and 1 on a colorado. 2 of the coho were in decent shape 1 wild 2 hatchery one of them was a tomato but he liked the jig as well, all realeased unharmed. There were quite a few coho rolling around. Still lots of guys around fishing way too long leaders. I saw one guy harvest a spring, for the smoker I guess although it looked like it was already smoked. Nice to have some room now that the chum harvest is done but it was still quite busy looking toward the East side of the river.

·
Registered
290 Posts
stave river is whining down. the chum isn't as thick as it was few weeks back, couple of us stopped by there on sunday as well late in the evening to practice some fly fishing. We skunked out at 2 other locations so we usually go to stave river just so we don't get upset hooking into nothing. lol..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts