BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/jehadfield/pegleg230907026.jpg[/IMG]

]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/jehadfield/pegleg230907064.jpg[/IMG]

Please dissregard or delete earlier post and if this topic gets out hand or is negative please delete it also :cheers:
sorry about the picture posting screw up. :beerchug:

· Registered
415 Posts
I guess I'm lost Salmonator..sorry. The only thing I can figure is that the natives were keeping pinks only for the roe. As you said, its all legal. I rarely question the law of the land. Maybe I should. Having said that, natives are the very least of our problems facing the salmon fishery.

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rivahman

As far as I can tell, someone can or will correct me but the larger boats in some of the pics had people comming to shore and collecting the fish. They came and started counting the fish in the nets starting with the females. It looked almost like they were buying the fish right out of the nets and the springs were loaded in a truck and taken away right away. :confused:

· Registered
415 Posts
I can't really comment on your latest comments Salmonator (nice pics though), since I see no evidence in the photos of buying out of the nets or springs loaded into trucks. I'm really surprised that you were able to take such close ups of the action without some 'Buck' telling you to get lost. Way to go. Most of us would have been chased away.

The way I see it, natives are entitled to their fair share of our fisheries resources (as UNFAIR that some think). Natives harvest way more than we want and half as much as we think.

· Registered
218 Posts
I was fishing up further when they started, hooked their nets in right above us and said, "coming through"...end of our fishing day!!! I saw them release the sturgeon and also saw them throwing back fish..
To be honest, I don't know what to really make of what I saw today. The kids were more then polite and talked to us when going by...Called DFO and were told it was a legal fishery and they were allowed I believe 300,000 fish that day...I expected to see allot worse then I saw...Ruined any chance we had to beat the Vedder crowds for a day but WTF, its your tax dollars at work..

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grey Ghost

It ruined my day also I thought I could start my day on the Vedder but with it just being over fished I thought I would just take a look around. I thought I was fortunate to get these pics of shore drift and settled for that. I miss my interior fishing and I have fished the Fraser/Vedder for over 25 years and I miss that also and have had to deal with it. :cheers:

· Registered
415 Posts
Legal fishery or not salmonator, natives aren't immune to the fact that whatever they do isn't above criticism from other facets of society. I'm just amazed you could take all the pics, thats all. Having lived in Ahousat, Bella Bella, Kyuquot and Kincolith for a number of years, I can tell you that an unknown white guy taking the photo of any native doing anything would raise eyebrows. Thats all. Good for you for taking them.

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rivahman said:
Legal fishery or not salmonator, natives aren't immune to the fact that whatever they do isn't above criticism from other facets of society. I'm just amazed you could take all the pics, thats all. Having lived in Ahousat, Bella Bella, Kyuquot and Kincolith for a number of years, I can tell you that an unknown white guy taking the photo of any native doing anything would raise eyebrows. Thats all. Good for you for taking them and not getting scalped :happy: (do they still do that?).
I am from Ocean Falls

· Registered
249 Posts
Salmonator said:
I am from Ocean Falls
Salmonater, my brother spent 13 years in Bella Coola. I believe he went up there a couple weeks ago for an annual Ocean Falls fishing tourny/derby (?).

One year I went to visit him and we took a boat out and stopped at Ocean Falls. Interesting place. I hear it was quite the town "back in the day".

LL

· Registered
218 Posts
Salmonator said:
Grey Ghost

It ruined my day also I thought I could start my day on the Vedder but with it just being over fished I thought I would just take a look around. I thought I was fortunate to get these pics of shore drift and settled for that. I miss my interior fishing and I have fished the Fraser/Vedder for over 25 years and I miss that also and have had to deal with it. :cheers:
Yeah, I hear that...It was nice to be out without the crowds...beautiful morning and all...guess that's why there weren't any crowds.. ??? I know my buddy was quite pissed off and all...I've never seen this up close so I was more interested in how they did it...Sadly, the Vedder is only going to get worse and unless your into crowd fishing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.