BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone knew what the costs are associated with having the rivets in your boat repressed? If that is what they do? My boat is a 74 and performs well but does leak somewhat. I am going to gut it over the fall/winter and replace the floor etc.. and thought I might as well get the rivets tightened up. It would be like a brand new boat that way.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be more specific :wink: Does anyone know a shop that does this work? If not, where can you buy rivet kits for aluminum boats?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Its a very simple process to tighten the rivets....Two of us have done a couple of 12 footers in about 1 or 2 hours each....One guy outside with a body dolly and one guy inside with a body hammer.....works slick on most rivets.....Plus you can re- chalk each seam as you see the need on the inside......Most older boats have loosened up over the years and just need the rivets tightened a bit......Once you have the floor striped out let us know and I'm sure we can make a night of it swapping fishing lies and working...Instead of afishout we can have a boatfix and B.S. night or saturday :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done a couple of cartoppers. You need a partner to help and you need to build a tool. If you can get a 1 foot length of steel road about 3/4 to 1 inch dia. The length is not important as long as it is long enough to hang onto and has enough mass to counter the hammer blow it will work. I then countersunk a hole the same size as the rivet head using a drill bit. Just keep the hole slightly less depth than the actual rivet. I also had to grind a bit of the end to a smaller diameter so it would fit on top of one rivet and clear the one beside. If you get the partner to hold this on the rounded part of the rivet and then give the flat part a couple of raps with a hammer, this tightens up the rivets great. Wear hearing protection/

·
Registered
708 Posts
there is a place in south surrey called "49 west boat works" in think. He reriveted an old smoker craft for me once. Did a good job and never leaked while I own the boat. Price seemed ok back then also. The guy was off of 18th and 176th I think.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Noticed on the Cabella's site that there is a "patch kit" just for that sort of thing. Don't think that it would work as good as re-riveting ...... but it may be worth looking at.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
708 Posts
patches around rivets don't work well in the long run. If a rivet is lose it will consistantly move and slowly make the hole bigger. If you plan on keeping the boat for a few years or more, take the time to get them tightened up right. It will be worth it in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts