BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 buddies and I are heading to BC in the Terrace area next week. We have been looking for a one day guide for steelhead at the beginning of the trip. We've only been in contact with one who quoted $1600 canadian for a one day jet boat guide for the 4 of us.

Is this a reasonable price?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good guide service?

We have a lot of experience fishing steelhead in MI, but none whatsoever in BC so we thought a guide at the beginning of the trip, then renting drift boats the rest of the week, would be the way to do it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

G

·
Pistol,
That is a bit pricey :shock:
Tracey from Steelheadheaven.com would give you a better deal, appx.$250/person.
Be aware that some sections of Skeena are classified and some not and the price will reflect that, so ask him all the details.
cell 250-639-4277
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BC Trip - Terrace and Smithers

Got back Wednesday evening. All in all a good trip. It was the first time any of my crew had been to BC but we all do a lot of SH fishing in MIchigan. We, my 3 friends and I, were there for 7 days and days sort of run together but it went pretty much like this . . . (By the way, when I talk about fish hooked or landed, I'm referring to my group, not just me)

Day 1 - went to Copper River in Terrace, caught 3 steelhead, one about 20 lbs, at 32 kilo mark off the logging road, which I'm told is referred to as the "high banks" area; caught with red headed egg sucking leaches, one stealhead hit a dry fly (bomber - orange and black) but let go (or perhaps the better way of putting it is "I wrenched the hook from the SH's mouth") after I freaked out and grabbed the reel while it was running out drag - my first SH hitting a dry fly.

Day 2 - went on a guided trip with Stan (forgot his last name) on the Skeena. Actually, Stan had one of his guides nicknamed "squirrel" take us out. For $1600 (by the time I got a reply that 1600 was too much $$ on this same thread, my buddy already booked with Stan) we caught one nice coho, a SH and some small trout. The guide did very little on instruction but did take us to some holes where, apparently, fish were frequently caught. I would have liked answers to such questions as: "is this a good fly?" and "do I have the right sink tip?" but Squirrel's usual response was "Just throw it out there." I must say that though I thought it was over priced for just 2 nice fish, it was a slow day on the skeena according to others who fished that day and despite Squirrel's lack of instruction, it sounds like we did better than most and he at least took us to some fish.

Day 3 - We woke up at 7am for another trip to the copper; cocky that we could get more SH using our MI knowledge than a guide could get us. Unfortunately, our car was broken into and we lost 2 spey rods/reels and 2 fly rods/reels. It happened in the parking lot outside the Best Western in Terrace. We were partly to blame for leaving our rods in the car. The mounty told us that Terrace has a serious meth problem and it was probably a meth motivated larceny. I ended up going to Randy at Northcoat Anglers for a new set up. Randy seems like a pretty good guy who gives sound advice. I'd recommend Randy to anyone. Got some fishing in that day on the copper, our crew hooked a couple of fish, but no SH landed.

Day 4 - Morning we went to Baxter's Road area of Copper, 3km mark off logging road, and landed one nice coho and a SH. Afternoon we went to upper part of Copper river, I want to say it was in low 40's km. Went down a steep hill off the logging road just past a creek. Walked about a mile down an old two track to the river. Very awesome section of the Copper, huge boulders, fast water, big deep pools ("tanks") but no hook ups at all. Left for Smithers that evening to fish the Bulkley.

Day 5 - Fished the Bulkley near confluence of the Bulkley and Telkwa Rivers near the cement plant. Our crew landed 0 but a few grabs.

Day 6 - Same place. I was now on almost 2 complete days of casting w/o even a grab. Very frustrating. Then, towards the evening I cast out my leech into a tailout. I swore I felt a grab but did not believe after 500 casts it could be the case. Next cast, same spot, SH on, good runs, a couple of jumps and I loose him after a 5 minute battle. I go back to the same spot, cast with the same leech and boom, 3rd fish to hit in 3 casts, this time I landed him, a nice 10 lb SH. Patience pays.

Day 7 - We rented a drift boat from McBides in Smithers. Very good price and they seemed pretty cool and friendly. Drifted from Quick to Telkwa but my day was cut short because I had to catch an earlier flight than my 3 friends. Very good looking section of river but lots and lots of drift boats with guides. After I left, of course, my 3 friends, claim they caught 2 SH that afternoon. They are pretty honest however.

All in all a good trip. But, fishing was slow though outdoors was beautiful. I'm told the water levels are exceptionally low this year. If I did it all over again, I would have rented more drift boats to explore the Bulkley. That river, unlike the Copper, is largely inaccessible by road unless you don't mind trespassing on all the private property that runs up and down the Bulkley. Of course, I will keep my rods in my room and look for a different guiding service while in Terrace.

G

·
Pistol,
Thank you for the posting.
Pls. consider your trip a success. I too, as a local, go without a Steelie sometimes many days in a row. Last and this year the return was very poor, I just hope this is not a trend.
George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts