BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recent Servicing..Is this normal ?

I took my rig into Poco Marine a couple of weeks back. The work to be done was a simple engine and gear oil change, and an impeller replacement. 90 4 stroke merc. After pick up, I had a concern with what I thought were two new paint gouges on the upper side of two cup'd indentation on the front inside of the leg. It looked like something may have been braced in these indentations to press off the lower leg. My concern was met with a response that it would be looked at for cause, and touched up at no charge when I was next by. Are presses or separators used on the leg to separate the two parts.???
Move ahead to tonight. I put the ear muffs on and fired it up for the first time since the service. All appeared normal and it had a good pee stream from the new impeller. I then noticed that I had a heavy stream of water coming out of the 1/4' gap/seam between the lower leg(gear area) and upper leg. It never did this before and I don't think this is normal??? If it isn't, could this water leak in the leg cause oil contamination anywhere. What's the probable cause.
I will be calling them back tomorrow. Owner comes off as a stand up guy, so I am not expecting issues.

Thanks for your input.
Hoochee

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Called this morning and spoke to the mechanic himself. The owner is away...
He was surprised at my findings and very accommodating with wanting it back in for a fix at my convenience.
I am booked for later in the week.
I like to know why things happen (karma aside) so if you have a theory on the water leak, I'd love to hear it.
Hoochee

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick followup... Had the boat in and problems resolved today. The mechanic showed me how the bottom leg comes off, showed me the water inputs and explained etc, and then re-lubed and re-installed it while I watched. I am satisfied that the marks I found were not from the servicing and must have been picked up at some other time.
I was very happy with the service from this great group of people. A smaller shop, but a great option locally.
Hoochee

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A friend of mine works for a body shop and basically what happened with you seems to happen with a few customers that come in. And really what it is - is people really don't check out their vehicle beforehand (or in your case boat) and then once home from the body shop or whatever - they notice all this stuff that wasnt there before hand.... my point is, always check out your vehicle or whatever before hand because alot of times stuff that is there, was actually there before - you just didnt notice it....I think people just don't really look until they have work done. And then all of a sudden find stuff that wasnt there before and then try and blame the shop for these things. Then the poor guy that works on flat rate has to fix it on his time.
Even though everything seemed to work out good for you Hoochee... and you were very reasonable with this dealer...again - it was probably just something that you may have overlooked.
I mean Im sure things do happen - but just always check the boat/car over good before taking it in - so you know what dents were and were not there before hand.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed Fishnfvr. Likely what happened. I work in an industry where we do repairs on customer product. Prior to the customer leaving the item with us, a work order is completed, and a thorough review of the condition is done. All marks or dents/dings are noted on the work order and then signed off on by the customer. I don't see many other business (rental car companies aside) trying to protect themselves this way.

Casno; The lower leg has a couple of big cavities in it. Exhaust being one. If the water flow in the coupler between the lower gear portion and the mating orifice on the upper leg are not a perfect seal, you can have some water escape and drain out the seam. Apparently this is not uncommon? The key point was that the flow from the impeller is strong. Mine is peeing like a 18year old after a 6 pack of beer... Had it out yesterday and it was all good.
Hoochee

·
Registered
2 Posts
poco marine

Glad your problems were solved....any time i try to order from poco marine they always say the price has changed and there was an error. I've given up trying to deal with them. I will now just give my business to West, Nikka or Steveston Marine. I picked up a great deal on a lowrance gps/fishfinder the other day! 10" screen for $1400.00 including the transducer and antenna!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
PB1:

Obviously I can’t talk for Poco Marine yet being a somewhat similar company we share the same problem: cost of inventory. What that means is as much as we’d like to have scads of things it’s expensive to do so. In practice we will take an order from a customer, get a quote from a supplier, and then have it shipped to us.

We have a lot of stuff that turns over fast (oil, filters, impellers, and such) so you can bring your boat in and get it back fast and that’s where we’ve put our money. It’s hard to lay out a lot of cash for other stuff that has a relatively low turnover and sits on a shelf for lord knows how long.

Doesn’t mean we can’t get stuff – if it’s in any catalog our Parts and Services Manager, Marie Holloway, can get it but it will take a day or more to get it shipped. As for price, we will of course stand by our quote even if our supplier raises the price in the meantime. And, of course, we will find a good price yet that’s dependent on how much the suppliers are asking for.

What it means is a smaller company can’t afford to have racks and racks of electronics. In all truth, that’s expensive and since the markup isn’t that much we lose money if it doesn’t turnover quickly.

Steveston Marine’s business plan is buy a lot to get a volume discount, tack on a minimal profit, and sell lots. A smaller company just can’t compete on price. In fact, we will send people to Steveston for stuff we don’t have in inventory because we can’t match their prices.

To carry this a step further. We’re a Suzuki dealer and, right now I have seven engines in stock with the largest a 70 hp. I’d really really like to have a full range of Suzuki engines including a couple of 300s or 250s on display but I can’t because it would tie up too much. Can I get a Suzuki 300 or 250? Sure, give me a few days to call around the dealer network and we’ll have it on your boat rigged and ready to go. But I can’t afford to keep an engine for too long without selling because it costs me to do that.

MichaelR

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Older dead post PowerBoater1. Knowing retail and inventory, I have to agree with MichaelR.
I have had no similar issue when special ordering through these folks (Eric or Pierre), and suggest you contact them directly if you have concerns.
Let this one die.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.