BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the Knutsford area with hope of hitting a new lake that a member on here made me aware (thanks bronjuan) of but the wind was gusting pretty good up in the foothills so I decided to go up Tranquille to Red Lake which I know holds big fish but I had only been to in the hardwater season during Xmas time when returning to town. Now that I live in the area thought what the hell give it a shot. Got to the lake at around noon and the fishing was good right away as I hit a few fish on a slow troll immediately then the wind kicked up a bit making it more difficult to keep a dead slow troll going in my pontoon. Anchored up for a bit and started stripping size #12 olive damsels in and around the various weed beds and this was the ticket. Ton of small guys and the odd larger brookie. On my way out got a beautiful brook trout about three pounds just loaded with shrimp after checking the stomach content. One question though is would it be normal after an algae bloom in the summer for it still to be present at this time of year?Alot of suspended bright green vegetation that looked like algae. I know the lakes around here are prone to blooms in the summer but how long do they last? It has been really cool and I don't remember still seeing it present during our ice fishing trips? Cool windy day to be out but good times anyway.....Sorry no pics.

Tight Lines
Derek

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey great report Derek. I didn't get the chance to hit up Red this season but I'll make a point of it soon. It is very common for clouds of algea bloom to still be floating around the water column well after the summer dulldrums have fishised and the cooler temps. have taken over. If you hit it up again, try and get a water temp reading. It can take some time for the bloom to break up after a really hot summer, especially in more the of the lower lying stillwaters of the region. I have fished through it into November.

Finder:cheers:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts