BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Rib 
#1 ·
Hello fellow anglers,

Could someone give me a good spot(s) to fish red snappers around Vancouver and/or the east side of Vancouver Island.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Lionfish: What we're trying to say is that this is a user forum, and it requires participation from users. It doesn't take long to get in the swing of things, I only found the forum this month, and have found it to be invaluable, but it requires contributions (not monetary). If you read the forum guidelines you'll see that more of the site is open after a certain number of posts... for example, after 20 posts you'll have access to user fishing reports... Once you're establised as a regular "user" of this forum, you'll find information flows a lot easier than trying to mine for it on your first entry.

Good luck.

#7 ·
I just want to add a few comments to the gentlemen that graciously responded to my thread.

Pippen:
-First of all you should judge a book by its cover, meaning I was a member of this forum for several years and then for some other reasons and I had to creat this new account.
-Second, you are not oblidged to respond to my post.
-Third, I suggest you google for fishing guides and or lodges in BC and read through their pages and you may find that we do fish red snapper in BC
-Fourth, I also suggest you to go to the fishdatabase.org and look for Sebastes ruberrimus (aka as yelloweye rockfish or red snapper) to find its common names and also its distribution.

I think we are missing the point of a forum. Its main purpose is to discuss ideias and help others, not trash someone else's posts.

Thank you gentlemen.

#8 · (Edited)
I just want to add a few comments to the gentlemen that graciously responded to my thread.
Pippen:
-First of all you should judge a book by its cover, meaning I was a member of this forum for several years and then for some other reasons and I had to creat this new account.
Then maybe you should have reintroduced yourself instead of asking where to fish for a fish that doesn't exist in the Vancouver area on your first post? ??? You should have come in a bit more gently and asked where to catch prawns...with coordinates please!

And sorry....you lost me on "you should judge a book by its cover"??? :p ;)

-Second, you are not oblidged to respond to my post.
True enough....but it's a forum!! I like to share. ;)

-Third, I suggest you google for fishing guides and or lodges in BC and read through their pages and you may find that we do fish red snapper in BC
I know more than my fair share of guides.....and I have yet to meet one who refers to them as "red snapper"; but that's just in my experience.

Well....if you read the regs......you can't keep em as they don't exist. So don't catch red snapper and expect to keep them. ;)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.htm

-Fourth, I also suggest you to go to the fishdatabase.org and look for Sebastes ruberrimus (aka as yelloweye rockfish or red snapper) to find its common names and also its distribution.
Yes....and perhaps you should read up on Red Snapper....."aka; Lutjanus campechanus" and check it's distribution?? If you go to Granville Island or any fish monger and ask for Red Snapper, guess what you're gonna get???

Okay...let's agree to disagree and meet in the middle.....let's call it by it's other "common name" 銼頭平鮋 .

Hmmm....did a google of your scientific name as noted above and I read this? Red snapper may be a "slang" which if a guide knows what he's talking about he will likely be referring to it as a "Yellow Eye".
Yelloweye Rockfish: Sebastes ruberrimus

This rockfish can grow as large as 1 meter in length and live over 100 years. Though once regarded as a nuisance by commercial fishermen, this rockfish is now considered a prize catch, providing tasty whitefish fillets. So much so that a lot of whitefish on the market is falsely labelled as 'Red Snapper'.
I think we are missing the point of a forum. Its main purpose is to discuss ideias and help others, not trash someone else's posts.

Thank you gentlemen
Thank you for clearing that up....and I am well aware. Over the years I have seen TONS of "one post wonders" come and go when asking for a "spot" to "catch crabs", "catch the prawns", "catch the salmon", "how do I get to_______"; so you will have to forgive me for looking at another "first post" who wants to know "Could someone give me a good spot(s) to fish red snappers around Vancouver and/or the east side of Vancouver Island". If you are going to target the elusive red snappers around the area you request the info for....please be sure to watch for the Rockfish Conservation Areas, but I guess if they are snapper you are fine to target them there?? :p :p :p

Anyhow....you go ahead and call em' what you want......and best of luck finding one locally. :cheers:

Welcome back to the forum and to sum it up as in my previous post....if you find one in the waters you are referring to it's gonna be pretty flukey. Likely have a better chance of gettin' a hali and those are few and far between in the waters of the Georgia Strait. :peace:

#9 ·
Yellow eye

Yup Yelloweye, a spectacular rockfish to be sure.

Used to catch them resonably often in the Strait of Georgia ( going way back). Why would you want to target on them now ? With a whole strait full of Sockeye?

I think they best left alone.

Best

Arctos

#10 ·
I am a transplant from Chicago where I was able to do some salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, but nothing like the Pacific Northwest. I have enjoyed being a member for the past year and have very much appreciated the help I have received in learning more about the ins and outs of fishing in this area. I in turn have tried to pass on what I have learned to others that our new to fishing and don't have any clue as to how and what to do. As a retired teacher I am still learning and find that it is always more helpful when people are a little more patient and understanding of those that may not have the experience or knowledge that they may have. When I was taking 5th and 6th graders to the lake to teach them how to fish for perch the "old timers" who came over and offered there help didn't care if the students were getting names right or wrong, but were more interested in how they could help the kids become lovers of the sport. Lets keep things in perspective and all try to make each other better fishers and men. Again I would like to thank all those who have made a better fisherman on this site.

#12 ·
I am a transplant from Chicago where I was able to do some salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, but nothing like the Pacific Northwest. I have enjoyed being a member for the past year and have very much appreciated the help I have received in learning more about the ins and outs of fishing in this area. I in turn have tried to pass on what I have learned to others that our new to fishing and don't have any clue as to how and what to do. As a retired teacher I am still learning and find that it is always more helpful when people are a little more patient and understanding of those that may not have the experience or knowledge that they may have. When I was taking 5th and 6th graders to the lake to teach them how to fish for perch the "old timers" who came over and offered there help didn't care if the students were getting names right or wrong, but were more interested in how they could help the kids become lovers of the sport. Lets keep things in perspective and all try to make each other better fishers and men. Again I would like to thank all those who have made a better fisherman on this site.
tfish....I completely agree and I have learned tons from this forum and in turn I offer up help absolutely whenever or wherever I can.

The reason I was a bit "cheeky" replying is as I mentioned earlier; the '1 post' people who show up, register, make their first post a "where to" kinda specific question I tend to look at (as do many others) kind of "odd". (for lack of a better term).

When you register for the site you are asked to introduce yourselves and MANY new members as of late have been doing so.

I have been a member of this forum for a LONG time....and the "join date" next to my name is that date because the forum got "reset" a bunch of years back. Suffice it to say I have seen TONS of "first post" questions looking for prized info on the big old internet for everyone to see; members or not. I have offered up info and taking the time out to reply to some posts that are a "first time" and you don't even get a thank you or ever see the member again. There was a guy last summer who was trying to figure out the easiest way to get his boat around Saturna coming from the states or something like that....I offered up a full list of directions, what to watch out for etc and not even a thanks nor was the member ever seen from again.

Maybe I should have shut up but I did put a "wink" next to my post.....kinda a little bit of "tongue in cheek".

I am not a bad guy......believe me....ha ha.........I just find these types of posts a bit presumptuous. As I also said earlier....I have seen first time posters ask for areas to catch prawns, crabs etc on their #1 post, same day that they joined.

Plus....if the member (new, old or recycled) is so aware of these names for the fish be they slang/scientific/real and know THAT MUCH about the species you may think "one" would know where to find them....or in this case "not" find them.

It's kinda like if I joined the forum....said "I am going to fish in Tofino, can someone tell me a spot(s) to catch halibut". Or...."I want to go catch some prawns where do I go to catch them in Howe Sound please". Any of these types of questions as a first post....are going to be shunned/poked fun at/read with rolling eyes, by anyone reading it...and especially for those that have seen these many, many times.

I also completely respect what you are saying tfish.....and I am a transplant from MB back in the early part of the 90's and I have learned more than my fair share on this forum and others in BC.

#11 ·
I got a crazy recipe for Yelloweye, should anyone care to have it...

The first time I caught one of these things I freaked out, I had no idea what hideous monster I brought up from the depths--I wouldn't even touch the bastard! After I caught a few more my wife starting making the most amazing dinners with them... and the heads are wonderful for fish stock!

Yelloweye kicks red snappers ass in taste.

#13 ·
I got a crazy recipe for Yelloweye, should anyone care to have it...

The first time I caught one of these things I freaked out, I had no idea what hideous monster I brought up from the depths--I wouldn't even touch the bastard! After I caught a few more my wife starting making the most amazing dinners with them... and the heads are wonderful for fish stock!

Yelloweye kicks red snappers ass in taste.

Ha ha.....all this talk reminds me that I have some to go pick some up with salmon and hali at Granville Island Smokehouse!!

Love the yelloweye and we got a good haul in Nootka a couple of weeks back. The other....which is my fave is the "black rockfish" or black bass, sea bass, black cod. :p ;)

#14 ·
I have a pretty good connection with the Joeys/Earls group of restaurants... I generally just stop off at one of the Joeys and the chef takes care of all the filleting for me after a day of fishing...

I need to find a good place to get my stuff smoked, do you recommend Granville Island Smokehouse?

#17 ·
Could someone give me a good spot(s) to fish red snappers around Vancouver and/or the east side of Vancouver Island.
Locally, No (or at least where you are allowed)
As pointed out you must go north young man, or Island.

Used to get them with great consistancy in Egmont and Pender harbour while fishing for springs but that was years ago. But that's a bit of a run from Vancouver for rockfish.

"A rose is a rose is a rose but......"

As a former fishmonger here's a few more names.

Though actually a Yellow eye rockfish other names used:
Pacific Red Snapper, Snapper, Yellow Eye, Red Cod.
Not a true red snapper and if you ate one in a restaurant or had some while on vacation down south it may not be the same as what you might find here in town.
Often names are changed or manipulated in order to sell a product.
Snapper has a better ring to it than rockfish to the layperson who watches a cooking show and you'll see more recipes for Snapper than Rockfish or Yellow-eye in cookbooks.
You can substitute them but they are not the same.

Black cod is also known as butter fish ('cuz of it's smooth texture) and sable fish.
(and if you ever buy smoked black cod and it's orange or red that's because it's dyed, that goes for smoked Chum as well. The color "Red" sells).

Farmed Steelhead is sometimes refered to as Salmon Trout

Chum salmon (aka Dog salmon) is sometimes referred to as Silver-Bright

Dog fish (aka mud shark) is sometimes called rock salmon and used in fish and chips (overseas)

Names often determine what sells and what does not and it's this name manipulation that can lead to this confusion.
Depending on the area you live or buy sea food the names may vary.

Take me for example. My mother calls me by my given name, Others call me by a shortened name, Most of you probably only know me by Scissorbill and the rest just think I'm an A..

Ahh, technicalities.

#19 ·
Hello fellow anglers,

Thanks.

Wow, you're getting roasted for this one! I've fished Georgia Strait for many years. I lived On Cortes Is. for a long time, So it was my stomping ground, and up there many people called Yellow eye "snapper". You're not alone. I'm quite sure they all knew the proper name for them, It was just a slang that went way back. But I have to agree with Pippen, no one is going to give the location of a good Yellow Eye spot. I use to catch them quite often in Georgia Strait. I knew of deep holes where they hung out, but even when close friends asked where these spots were, I wouldn't tell them. There are a few things that you would have to pull out of a fishermans cold dead hands, and this is one of them. And perhaps people were a bit nuts up on Cortes, but they would go to great lengths to keep their secrets. Camouflage boats and clothing, setting prawn traps, at dusk and picking them up at dawn, etc, and definately not posting them on the web. However I will say this: You can still find Yellow eye on the ECVI outside of the RCAs, but the spots are far and few between and in my opinion should not be targeted. They fave been overfished and need time, lots of time to replenish.

#22 ·
Actuallly I do too......and I 159% respect tfish. A forum is about sharing but it is also NOT about ass-raping your favourite fishing holes for everyone between Chilliwack and Zimbawbe to know where to fish.

What y'all are missing is the 1 post wonder................and Ya....I should have shut up, but I just saw the same ole thing happening.

Having been a member of this forum for 6+ years I take some pride in this forum and sharing what I have learned and gained.

Lionfish....it's kinda like me joing www.iwannafindsomegoldnuggets.com/forum and asking......."hi, new member here but where do I find platinum?????"

#21 ·
I can't help myself on this one....
Yellow Eyes are a slow growing fish that live in deep water (i"m not telling you where - LOL). They good eating but are not a sustainable species like Salmon and Halibut or Ling Cod. A 20 lb specimen, of which i caught a lot of is at least 60 to 80 years old :eek:. It's like killing your grandmother. When i found out how old they were a few years ago - i stopped fishing for them and don't target them with my clients. I will catch the odd one when i am loading them up on Ling but i won't target them.

Just the perspective of a full time WCVI guide since 1987. Just my 2 cents worth. :2cents:

PS> Don't believe anything that that poacher Pippen says. I goes out with guides and takes all the credit. :thumbup:

Joking, bud.:peace:

#25 ·
Although I do not target Yelloweye I do catch them while fishing for lings and halibut. I have been trying to learn more on the use of bladder needles to release the rock fish I do catch. I am particularly interested after watching SouthEast coast fishing programs. I believe it is a law that these needles must be carried when fishing. ( I am not sure what there real name is) and they come in various sizes. Do any of you use these bladder air release needles?? I tried to buy one in Port Hardy during my last trip, but they didn't even know what I was talking about. I will be purchasing one on line this winter so when I go out I will bring it out and use it and see if it helps save the rockfish I do want to release. Love to hear from those who may have an opinion on the above.

#26 ·
Although I do not target Yelloweye I do catch them while fishing for lings and halibut. I have been trying to learn more on the use of bladder needles to release the rock fish I do catch. I am particularly interested after watching SouthEast coast fishing programs. I believe it is a law that these needles must be carried when fishing. ( I am not sure what there real name is) and they come in various sizes. Do any of you use these bladder air release needles?? I tried to buy one in Port Hardy during my last trip, but they didn't even know what I was talking about. I will be purchasing one on line this winter so when I go out I will bring it out and use it and see if it helps save the rockfish I do want to release. Love to hear from those who may have an opinion on the above.
I talked to a biologist regarding this procedure last winter and he said they die from the trauma anyways or get eaten by a Ling

#28 · (Edited)
Hey Pippen.

I had a feeling it was a little more than freshwater you were into when posting your initial response. I've never seen you post a nasty or vitriolic response on any forum before. Gotta admit it was pretty funny, as it's so out of character for you. Kinda like witnessing Mother Theresa have a full on meltdown bitch fit.

Everyone who reads your posts knows there's very few quicker to answer a question. I'm such a damn slow typist that by the time I finish my response you've usually already answered the question.

Lionfish, as everyone already stated. You can't keep any yellow eye around Van, it's against the regs. And even if you could it would kind of be like targeting the last of the Buffalo.

#29 ·
I hope Pippen won't jump down my throat asking this because I do only have 4 posts but should really have 10+ but the moderators who manage this site say there is a glitch but won't fix it so I have to contribute some bull%%*t so I can get 20 posts. Did this posting Bologna crap a long time ago but when the website was redone so were my posts. So here it goes. Somewhat worthwhile information or exchange required. I use to fish white cliff when I was a kid in a little pram with a 4 h.p. motor. Did well on I am afraid to say what I called them. To hell with it . I called them rockcod. They may have suppose to be called yellow cod or green cod or pink and purple cod. I called them rock cod. Seldom caught what I use to call red snapper. Probably weren't red snapper that is what I called them. Sorry if that is slang. I use to get excellent ling cod just out from Fisherman's cove. I know a deadly spot. Spent hours there. But as you all know it has been close for so many years. Will we ever see the day when that area is reopened for ling cod and rock cod? There have to be a crap load of lingcod where I use to fish. I hope everybody is happy that there may be hundreds of ling cod breeding and breeding down there with out a single piece of bait with a hook on it. I am glad all the conservation people can say that area is closed. Conservation. What good is it doing. Actually I have seen areas opened that have been conserved. I geuss it all makes sense. It just seems like a waste of a lot of fun fishing. In those days I seldom saw anyone but myself fishing for ling and rock cod. They all fished for salmon. Is it ever monitored or is just closed for life? How long has it been since it was closed? I was probably 15-21 when I use to fish for ling and rock cod. That was about 20 years ago. Does anyone know when it was closed? I don't agree with all this internet sharing stuff because in my opinion it ruined a lot of good fishing by overcrowding etc. but since it is here and the information is out there I may as well tap into that resource. No sense fighting it might as well join it. So I just spent about half an hour posting. I hope my posts move from 4 to 5 because it better be worth the time I am wasting here. I really want to see the reports although you will never catch me posting one. Will join conversations if they are interesting or talk about how the fishing use to be in the good old days before the internet when I was single and was able to fish instead of reading about it on the internet. Looking forward to wasting my time and posting more mindless exchanges in the future.

#30 ·
Congratulations. You did a great job of "wasting your time and posting mindless exchanges". This forum isn't about just reading the reports and never posting one yourself. It's about exchanging information and ideas with like minded people.

PS. I hope Pippen does jump down your throat. Your attitude sucks

#31 ·
Before this hits the sin bin here's some related information:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/08/18/black-rockfish-atkinson-point-vancouver.html

But as you all know it has been close for so many years. Will we ever see the day when that area is reopened for ling cod and rock cod? There have to be a crap load of lingcod where I use to fish. I hope everybody is happy that there may be hundreds of ling cod breeding and breeding down there with out a single piece of bait with a hook on it. I am glad all the conservation people can say that area is closed. Conservation. What good is it doing. Actually I have seen areas opened that have been conserved. I geuss it all makes sense. It just seems like a waste of a lot of fun fishing.
As humans, presumably at the top of the food chain, we are somewhat responsible for the chain of which we are a part of and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
I agree it may be a waste of a fun fishing area but it would only be fun for a week then it'd be closed again because it would be descended upon like some of the river gong shows. Don't kid yourself There are lots of folks who like to target rockfish.

Now if only I could shoot deer on Burnaby Mountain, clear cut some of that pristine wilderness above the Vancouver watersheds and build me some condos. All so close and just wasting away8)

There is no SARCASM Font and I'm merely taking artistic license with what was posted.
I realize It was probably meant different than how it is read but I can't help myself:cheers:

#32 · (Edited)
This is the most humorous thread on the saltwater forum in a long time. What a great idea, we definitely need a SARCASM Font. How many misunderstandings would be avoided with that simple kind of thing. Except imagine how long the argument would last to come to an agreement upon what font to use.

PS. I am in agreement with tofinoguy, fishyfishy your attitude sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.