BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new reel and I'm curious as to what your guys thoughts are on the Shimano Tekota reels. What are your favorite qualities of the reel over a Penn? Also welcomed a better choice than a Tekota.

Cheers

Josh

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the Takota 600LC and love it. I went on the recomendation of the tackle tour review and others on line and have enjoyed using the reel for kings and silvers. The reel is smooth, has a very good drag, holds enough line, is a joy to use and has been my go to reel. Search the net and your local sports stor for the best price and service. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Shimano Tekota.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You do not need a line counter for fishing sturgeon.

Penn 320's and 330's are proven over and over and most affordable.

They also level wind.

I went with Shimano TLD 20's.

!30lb. Tuffline.

96 lb. "Braided Nylon" leader.

7/0,8/0,9/0 Hook.

14 - 24 oz. weights.

Small hardwood broom handle. (Snagged? Use it to wrap your line and save cutting off a portion of your hand)

No level wind, but I loved the lever drag.

After reading recommendations from alot of the good folks on this board.

I wanted the lever drag. Simple as that.

Have not used them yet.

I'm sure that some with alot more experience here will chime in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started out with the Penn 320 GT,an entry level reel ,affordable but not really there for the long run in my opinion.I still have it as a spare however.I went to a Shimano Tyrnos 20.Great reel,strong,fast retrieve,lever drag.I find it a bit bulky however.I didn't look into it enough at the time as they have a model 16 which may have suited me better,[It was an impulse buy and has served me well]I'm now using an Avet HX/2.American made,good quality,comfortable size,good retieve,lever drag,two speed[of which I haven't really needed yet].It has a very good smooth drag and has handled 7 ft sturgeon to date with ease.Each step pretty much doubles in cost with the Avet at about $500.00.The next step are the Penn Internationals being 7-$800.00 there abouts.Haven't checked recently as they were too much for me at the time and somewhat bulky as well .Judging from the model my buddy is running.I will in time buy another Avet to outfit my boat.There's an old adage" buy quality and you only buy once"Get the best you can afford , go fishing and have fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! thanks for all of the tips! I've been sturgeon fishing for just under a year now, but i was hooked on it the second i saw my heavy duty setup start jumping in the rod holder. i agree with that adage of yours BM. I'll be saving my nickles and dimes left over from fillin up the boat and truck!

Cheers

Josh

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have 1 x Penn 320 and 2 x Penn 330's as well as 2 x Shimano TLD20's. I have used them for years in both salt and fresh water ........ they have never let me down yet. An I've caught some monster fish!!!

I really like the lever drag system but hate that the TLD does not level wind. When your fighting a 9+ foot Sturgeon the last thing you want to worry about is having a problem with the line spooling on one side.

I am now getting 2 more Penn 330's to go with the new Technium rods I've ordered.

I'm running 150 lb. Power Pro, 130 lb. "Braided Nylon" leader, and 7/0, 8/0, 9/0 and hooks. I have used Gami's, Owners, and Mustad hooks and in all honesty I find that I like the Mustad hooks as well as any others.

I use the usual 14 - 24 oz. weights on a sliding line system.

I totally agree you need to keep a fish bonker or something else handy in case you get a snag. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts