BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using an older model Ambassador 6500 C4 for steelhead fishing and am getting tired of untangling backlashes.
The anti-backlash on this reel is not consistent. I know you're supposed to use your thumb to control the line, but when it is freezing cold and you are wearing gloves it is harder to control that line. I'm going to buy myself a Christmas present this year in the form of a new reel and would like to hear some input into what reels are best at controlling backlash. Any recommendations??

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hit the nail on the head there Silvertrout ;D if i still used level winds I would go with either of those also. however you asked which one helps control backlash right? respectively I dont think any level wind really helps you need to use your thumb to effectively feel the line to stop it in time. I know the Shimano Catala I have has 6brakes inside in total that actually slow the spool down on the drop side of the casting ark. but I only have 2 of them on right now because with more it just wont cast as far(I use it BBing) im not sure which reels have this also if any others do, I say buy yourself a CP and never look back you will love yourself for buying it for yourself as an xmas present :thumbup: you might be thinking "it looks difficult to do" but rest assured its very easy, I taught myself after just a few hours of playing around. And the only thing I had to help teach me was remembering how guys cast by watching them on the river.

HOOK

·
Registered
789 Posts
HOOK said:
hit the nail on the head there Silvertrout ;D if i still used level winds I would go with either of those also. however you asked which one helps control backlash right? respectively I dont think any level wind really helps you need to use your thumb to effectively feel the line to stop it in time. I know the Shimano Catala I have has 6brakes inside in total that actually slow the spool down on the drop side of the casting ark. but I only have 2 of them on right now because with more it just wont cast as far(I use it BBing) im not sure which reels have this also if any others do, I say buy yourself a CP and never look back you will love yourself for buying it for yourself as an xmas present :thumbup: you might be thinking "it looks difficult to do" but rest assured its very easy, I taught myself after just a few hours of playing around. And the only thing I had to help teach me was remembering how guys cast by watching them on the river.

HOOK
I agree just go with a centerpin you will be better off, the fight on C-Pin is way better then a Bait caster !!!!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
if you look around you can get a decent CP and rod for a good price. I fish a 3113 Temple Fork Outfitters rod (3wt 11'3") and a Streamside ball bearing center pin very smooth and well priced. I got both of these things at Army & Navy

rod was 179.99 plus tax and the reel i got on sale for 99.99 ;D think the tag price was 229.99

·
Registered
901 Posts
HOOK said:
if you look around you can get a decent CP and rod for a good price. I fish a 3113 Temple Fork Outfitters rod (3wt 11'3") and a Streamside ball bearing center pin very smooth and well priced. I got both of these things at Army & Navy

rod was 179.99 plus tax and the reel i got on sale for 99.99 ;D think the tag price was 229.99
Its a 3 power not a 3wt.. And i personally would not touch a TFO rod...They were the most returned rod at a local shop... If you have a low budget i would go with a trophy rod... And for a CP to start out... the better model of the okuma aventa is a good bet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
i would say playing with the brake on the reel will make the difference in the way it casts..getting another reel,your gonna have the same problem until you find that happy med adjustment. :2cents:

kingpin said:
HOOK said:

Its a 3 power not a 3wt.. And i personally would not touch a TFO rod...They were the most returned rod at a local shop... If you have a low budget i would go with a trophy rod... And for a CP to start out... the better model of the okuma aventa is a good bet.
also check out the buy n sell some good deals from time to time

scruffy

·
Registered
789 Posts
there is a few loop 5Eight reels for sale on the forums for cheap !!! there good reels, Ask Rick Baerg or send him a PM a while ago he had 3 of them for sale ask him if he is still willing to sell them, there graphite large arbour reels that can handle a beating

·
Registered
901 Posts
gotroe
if you are getting tangles you cast drag is too slack
I used to cast 6oz leads 80yds + when surf fishing and it was a lot of thumb control and correct drag set
many of the guys i fished with would remove the brakes and the level wind just to get it out further
but when you first start out you adjust the drag as described in this site

http://www.dlst.co.uk/amb01/01cast.html
hope it helps

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well sorry that i said 3wt instead of 3power :-\ jeesh you guys knew what i meant I just used the wrong word but thats what i meant to type :beerchug: why not touch a TFO rod mine has been awesome handled all my big springs right down to small coho with lots of enjoyment ;D not to mention that when the truck door slammed on it one winter steel morning the no fault guarantee was nice only cost me 30$ per peice busted which i busted both of course :-[ good thing the shop i went to had a new one there so they honored the warrantee right there :thumbup:

the Langley A&N is the best and biggest fishing department of them all hands down. Good call on the casting drag the couple of you that mentioned it, I cant believe none of the rest of us said that but i guess when you dont use it anymore you forget the little things. I also dont adjust mine for BBing (only thing i use them for) they just stay where they.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sounds like the braking system on the reel may need adjustment. I've used the abu c3 series and it's more than adequate. My wife got me a shimano calcutta 200b last x-mas and it is silky smooth - I just love that little reel for steelhead and coho. Bottom line is - if your thumb/hands are too cold to control the spool - backlashes are inevitable.

As for centerpins - well, I'll just pickup one of my flyrods instead of getting into trouble with the c-pin. Lol. I get "ribbed" enough as it is using the drift rod! Btw - cold hands could mean throwing your fly rod into the water! I actually did this once! Sounds like I need a spey rod & reel!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.