BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell us about your first on the fly. Mine was a scrappy rainbow on the shores of Tunkwa Lake where the provincial camp ground sits now. This was back before it was a provincial site. My first fish was fooled on a black chironomid with silver rib, that was no more that 10 feet from my feet, and maybe two feet under the surface. I couldn't cast a lick. :thumbup: It was huge! A whole 12 inches maybe a 1/4 pound if I was being generous. ;) ;D Seeing that indicator dive under the surface got the hart going. I'll never forget it. I was hooked for life after that moment.

Finder :cheers:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Well, my history with the flyrod, is not a long one. My first fish on the fly was in Harrison Lake, just a few years ago, with non other than FF himself at my side and watching my every move...It was all of 8-9 inches long! There has been quite a few bigger ones since, but the first one is still fondly remembered.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
477 Posts
My first fly caught fish(plural) were my first caught fish! LOL

From the age of 5 till I was 11ish I'd stay with my grandparents in Nordegg, Alberta for the summer months.They'd take me to nearby Goldeye Lake. That is where I fell in love with fishing! I remember 5+ fish evenings. All these rainbows were in the 3-8 lb weight class. They set me up with a simple spinning combo with mono line. Gramma would hand me the fly box and I'd pick a fly. In those days it didn't really matter what fly you had on...you'd get something! As years went by the Golden Pheasant in size 8 was the killer fly.

I don't remember my first fish...but I'll never forget catching big bows on a fly tied to mono line with no weight!

Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well my firsy fly caught fish was actually at Green Timbers here in Surrey. I watched these 2 guys fly fishing catching lots of several weeks and just couldnt take it anymore so i went to Walmart and picked up my first and cheapest rod/reel combo. The next day i was at the lake screwing around trying to get down the casting, I had been counting and learning the timing while watching them which helped out :thumbup: To my luck they showed up soon after and with them actually there to watch I got it down pretty good and was tossing 50-60feet but not hooking up. they were getting fish and saw me struggling so one of them came over and gave me a fly that had been good. I tied it on and WHAM!! I probably hooked about 20 catchables that night but only landed the last few. Just like FF my first were one of those small scrappy little bows, and just like Ortho i have only been at this for about 6-7yrs now ;D

sometimes i think of going fly only and selling all my gear :happy: but i just cant do it LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
got my first fish on the fly in the vedder canal down by the highway. all of 6 inches long! :confused: not sure where all the good water is for fly fishin round here in the wack. none of my fishbuddies are into flyfishing so the rod just collects dust now :pissed:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey there Ram you should Pm one of us guys and we can show you alot of good fly water on the Vedder. ANYWHERE below the crossing is great water but there is still good water above also but its limited ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah i know. its more of a matter of finding the time! building decks and renos and finishing basements leaves me with limited time. i was working by the river today and a guy catches a nice 8lb steelie right in front of me!! i was green with envy :happy:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
my 1st fly caught fish was some trout on harrison lake....1st caught salmon was on a SEMINAR TRIP with ORTHO! coho lost and chum landed on the fly big fat pink and charteuse and like green fly's! since those early days I have fought all 5 species of salmon, bows, cutties, dollies, and even friggen steelhead (none landed) on the fly!

G

·
I member my first fish that ripped off all the feathers on the fly, but the hook held. It was in '82 when I was 6 and I was out fly fishing a remote trib with my grandfather, he was a good ol' scottsmen who loved to spey cast with big ass flies. I managed to land a 15lb steelhead on my first day ever fly fishing on water :thumbup: of course the fish was released.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Three years ago I got my first on the fly. It was a little 9" or so Rainbow caught in a tributary of the Grand River here in Ontario. Got the little guy on a beadhead Pheasant Tail Nymph size 14. Have gotten hundreds of em now with the same fly pattern, and it remains one of my favorite and most versatile fly patterns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A long time ago with my dad on Stump lake in early spring before the water levels rose on the lake when you were able to fish the reed pockets for cruising schools of big bow's looking for dragons, snails, and leaches.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First one was on a trolled leach at Sasamat while I was rowing around in circles trying to sort myself out in my new pontoon layed my rod down along the side to straighten myself out and the little bugger nearly pulled my damn rod right off the boat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.