BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing with a buddy at the "Bell Bouy" a couple of weeks ago and noticed a guy dealing with his downriggers while stearing his trolling motor with a remote. Was just wondering if anyone else has seen that before?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use a pro troll for my throttle, and a link bar for steering. I hate getting out of my seat to adjust speed.

I've seen panther remotes using an actuator for steering, but hear about reliability issues.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a TR1 auto pilot on my kicker.
It is an amazing Garmin product that controls throttle and steering.
It will hold a heading or follow a route via GPS.
I fish a lot with my wife who likes to read and hates to steer the boat.
For Hali fishing it will back your boat stern to the wind and hold over the spot.
They are pricey so don't try one unless you're prepared to buck up.
I would have a hard time fishing without it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey Samnjoe...

There's no doubt they're the best on the market! Is yours the Gold, or Gladiator? Do you hook yours up to your gps? and if you do, is your gps a Garmin? I understand you can hook it up to a non-garmin gps as well...

DF
I have a TR1 auto pilot on my kicker.
It is an amazing Garmin product that controls throttle and steering.
It will hold a heading or follow a route via GPS.
I fish a lot with my wife who likes to read and hates to steer the boat.
For Hali fishing it will back your boat stern to the wind and hold over the spot.
They are pricey so don't try one unless you're prepared to buck up.
I would have a hard time fishing without it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the gold but it was made before Garmin bought out the original.
I have it linked to a Furuno NAVNET. It follows a course well as long as you don't plot sharp turns.
Mostly I use it to hold a heading as traffic will always screw up a plotted tack.
The "step turn" and "idle / resume" features are great.
I can easily fish alone with this unit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The panther can be worked with pro troll also so you get throttle and steering in one hand held unit. I think I will buy the wireless for my panther. I did have my panther break down on me this summer which was a downer, but galleon made up for it with great customer service and a quick warranty. I would think tR1 is a superior product but the price will reflect that fact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts