BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been on here in awhile, to much life going on.
I'm thinking of buying a boat. What I'll looking for is hard to find without going for a new boat. A new boat at the edge of my buget. I was wondering if there are people out there who would be interested in renting a boat for sometime in the summer to help me keep within my buget.
Right now this is a test to get an idea of the interest; however, next year I would be in a postion to give it a shot.
I would be looking at getting a 16-19 foot Lifetimer, C-Dory, or other aluminium boat with 4 stroke under in the lower hp range to save on gas. I would probable put a kicker on it (more for safety, than fishing) and of course it would have GPS, Fish finder, downriggers, and all the required safety gear. I'm in Nanaimo and would have it on a trailer so it could get most places on the Island.
In the best of possible world I would like to fine three or four people into using it and the amount of compencation would be dependant on the needs of the boat and trust that the user would not abuse her. Of course the would be selection process and need for a orientation to using the boat and problalby some agreement/contract.
Thoughts?

Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Maybe I don't understand.
Time sharing a boat?
If so:
Insurance, insurance, insurance....
boat insurance, liability insurance, trailer insurance (on a trailer not moored)
You've got 2-4 best buddies you'd let take your new car for a spin?
Small vessel gail warning:" but it was my weekend how do we fix that? can I have it next Saturday?"
Who didn't clean the boat? (demerit points?)
"I need the boat, no one's using it I'll just come over and hook up. 4 am OK?"

I know only one person I'd do this with (and we've discussed it).
More headaches than worth, in my opinion.
But maybe you're talking about something different.
Good luck.
Renting a boat is often cheaper but that depends on how often you get out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Uncle used to do this with a good friend of his and to my knowledge never was an issue. Big difference is they had it moored so no 4am wakeups and they followed a very easy clear schedule on who had it when. Seems to me even days for one and odd for the other so the longest you had to go was a day without. And you always had a day every weekend. Both persons better have similar tolerances for mess, repairs and the like however as my experience with RV is that's the biggest time for disagreements.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with scissorbill going in on a boat with 2 or three others would turn in to a nightmare. i cannot think of anyone i would do this with.far better off to rent one when needed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey

I think the only way this could work would be if the two guys you fished with all the time and yourself went in on a boat as equal partners. And even then I think it would be a pain. Just my:2cents:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
It's actually very common with both boat owners(usually sailboats) and aircraft owners. 1/4 share or less. Usually works well as long as everyone is on the same page.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Google 'fractional ownership+boat', bigjay. Plenty of info on this topic including sharing agreements. You may even find someone doing this on the Island and be able to buy into a share rather than buying the whole boat.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Done it once with my fishing buddy.... worked good as we both fished together and when I couldn't make it, he would head out with other people! Works well this way, more than one (IMHO) would be a huge failure!

For the record, when my new boat came along, my share of the old boat went back to my buddy to be sole owner!! (The way boats should be owned)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Most of this type of fractional ownership is done with very expensive toys. Much more cash involved than a $50,000 jet boat. I have a buddy in the UK who successfully did it with a Lake Buccaneer. Running costs on a plane can be prohibitively expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts