BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and gals, yes, I am looking for some advice...I will be up in the shuswap area fishin' the big lake over the weekend with friends of the girlfriends...I'm told some fly fishing will be on the menu, but of the trolling variety...we have a big boat and will likely troll a lot, but I am also told, there is some beach action to be had...

If anyone has some first hand local advice that might lend me a hand I would be much obliged...please pm if necessary...I am looking for specifics here, ie: beaches to hit, flies, line types, depth, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Ribwart

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Rib bring a 5wt and some fry and egg and eye patterns. Fish around the inlets of the well known sockeye producing flows. Don't be afraid to wander up the creeks/ rivers as well. Bring a multi tip system, you want to swing or dead drift your baby salmon imitations in the rivers and strip them at the inlets. If you are lucky and your timimg is right........ :happy:, if not you can always fall back on trolling :drunk:

Have fun you are heading to an area that I hold dear to my heart, I would tell you I am jelous but I am just about to leave for the Yak so life is all good.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Troll some action plugs that imitate small wounded fish. Troll them deep and slow. Some of the Tomic ocean variety would work well. There are some big fish in Shuswap and sometimes, they are just as hard to find as the mythical Allouette lakers ;)......Ortho 8)
As far as the fly fishing goes??.................Treat it like Harrison Lake.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
hey rib, my moms friend used to fish off of some point just out of sicomous, thompson point or park(check with some of the locals) he would spin fish from shore and guys would be fly fishing out of tubes and pontoons. they would pick up some real nice rainbows by the looks of the pictures. i have seen the tubers first hand while trolling at the same spot. basically if you look at the eastern shore line of sicamous it is just north of the no fishing area. i know you can walk there as my mom said they used do that when they where there. sorry i cant be any more specific.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Hey Rib, I thinks STSfisher is talking about Murdoch Point near the Eagle River mouth but do not go past the fishing boundary signs towards the mouth as this area is closed to allow fry to escape into the lake. Fry patterns, epoxy minnows etc. on intermediate to full sinking lines work well this time of year.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Well, I'm envious as usual. That is a beauty. The country is beautiful too. Precisely why I had to move from the Lower Mainland. I bet you encountered few other anglers too. The pattern shown in this photo looks different than the "pattern of the day" in your other post. You must share a little more detail, I'm dying here :) Sinking line? Slow troll? Cast and strip? Lake or that "nameless river?" PM if you don't mind.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
OK No more advice from Ortho is EVER coming your way....EVER!!. ;D ;D...LOL
Man, that short clip took me right back to my family farm...The Robin singing in the background wasn't too happy getting his picture taken by the sound of it.....Just in case you'r not sick of 'nice fish', Rib, I will say it again......NICE FISH!!.........Ortho ;)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys...I was a bit nervous about meeting the family, but the girl made it easy and I had a great time...as for the place, well, a lake in the shuswap area should suffice, that's as specific as I'll get. Fullsinking line, on the troll, that was the tune of the day, and it worked. Nobody casting, from boat or shore caught anything that I could tell, just our boat. The fly in the pic above, is the same fly in the other post, somehow when the fly was wet it looked quite different, not to mention the pic you see on FFBC is after the big one got its teeth on it so it was getting quite tattered by then...

For those of you who might know where I was, feel free to pm and I will confirm if you are in the know...

Thanks again for the kind words, it was a really fun weekend, and I enjoyed sharing it with you guys...

rib

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.