BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all you knowledgable folk.....got any tips on rigging an anchovy with a single barbles hook? I thought I saw an article in BC Outdoors where they attached a wire to a teaser head - somehow??? What about prepping the anchovies? Tips on soaking them in something to make them more productive?

The springs are calling.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
i wouldnt say that you need to soak your anchovies, i did it religoulsly for a while but found that i had better luck with the bait right out of the pack. sure it will stiffen them up, but they last long enough without the brine

·
Registered
172 Posts
In then out leaving the tip exposed. If you pull the shank through to the knot your going to expand/tear the hole the hook is in making the chovy less durable. The curve comes from the tension of the line through the teaser head to the eye of the hook. There are a lot of variables. SOme guys go all the way through the chovy and out the other side and back through, while some guys only penetrate the one side. If they are striking short some guys pin it through closer to the tail, while others always put it in right at the aft end of the chovys dorsal along the lateral line etc etc. Play with it and stick with whatever works. Then the roll of the chovy is a whole variable too, some guys like a slow roll and others like a fast roll... Generally, slower for springs on longer leaders, but that changes day to day too lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
soak shmoke

Slightly the opposite of what you started fishjager, but somewhat related, so here goes. I tried some setups tied with not one, but 3 beautiful gammy 5-0 singles a few weeks ago. Ran small whole, head-on herring hooked through the top of the head, and striaght down and out the chin which held the mouth closed. The second hook poking out the side in a dangerous looking spot. The third trailing. The rolls looked beautiful every time without any adjustment at all. No plastic, no toothpicks, no cut plug. Nothing but hooks and whole herring au naturel. Had to quit after dogfish number seven, and switched to hootchies, so still havent hooked a Salmon that way, but am wondering why no one does it that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the bite is on and there are lots of fish around, straight out of the package as this is as close to fresh as you can achieve. The down side of this is that virtually any strike from any salmon or any fish for that matter that does not hook up destroys the bait. As far as single hooks are concerned, don't use them unless required by law, unless they are your trailing hook. Treble hooks even in a 1/0 size are far less invasive than a single in the same size, and the hooking capability is more than doubled. I brine my anchovy till it looks like a wrigleys gum wrapper and apply little or no bend to the rig up. Let your teaser do the work for you and adjust your leader length and distance from your clip to flasher to get that perfect " Roll " Just got back from Renfrew. Wow!! Chalupa

·
Registered
12 Posts
I take mine frozen out of the package the day Im fishin put saltwater on em in a lunch bucket then add some coarse salt to get em a little stiffer. Only cover the bait with saltwater dont drown them. As far as tye ups Ive never used just one single I go tandom with the trailor just running behind the tail. Ive never used wire either just keep changing em every so often when they get soft and arent getting the proper roll. Did use a single treble when I started out 25 yrs ago but never just one single. Wrote all this and just relalized the thread is from 2006. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.