BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be going out for my first steelheading this weekend. Bought some pink worms and am wondering how to rig these up? Searched the web a bit and even youtube. Do most guys use a needle and thread them? Also bought some jigs to try. Read Bent Rods site, some good info on there. What about Colorado's? Thanks for any help you can give this newbie. See ya on the river!

:beerchug:FF

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yes use a long needle and thread it threw the head and try to keep the needle in the middle. Bring the needle out of the bottom of the worm leaving a tail about 1.5 inches. Thread on a bead before you tie on a hook. This help in stopping the worm from ripping.

Colorados can be deadly. I have had steelhead hit so hard they almost pulled the rod out of my hands. I like to fish them under a float.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Not sure you got the info you wanted from the above, so simply put, if you are going to fish the Vedder/Chilli, I would use mostly bubble gum pink in 4-5 inch, or close equivalent in length. Tie up your usual roe knot onto a size 1 or 2 gammy, slide a small bead onto the line, then a small sequin, then start your needle approx 1 inch up the worm from the tail and go all the way to the top, and out through the center. Pull the leader thru the worm and trim at 24 inches (you can shorten later if you wish)...Throw it in a leader box and you'r ready to go....Some guys use scent with the worm as well, and it sure can't hurt . Fish them under a float in a dead drift. That's all there is to it. Usually they hit the worm pretty hard so be ready at all times when you are in the zone................Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Fire-fish, my site has an article on float fishing spinner blades if you're interested.
I had alot of success over the years with the coloradoes, excellent choice under most conditions and a GREAT choice when fishing broad runs on the lower river, or anywhere for that matter.

Also try the Delta tackle 6" worms, excellent product at a very reasonable price, 4" beanie weanies are great as well. Also tossing a worm on the end of a jig has taken many steelhead for me and eliviates worm wandering in boily water or pockets.

Good luck out there.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The sequin is a small bit of glitter at the shank of the hook...I have used it on 10 worm caught steelhead and no line problems at all. It allows the worm to sit a little closer to the hook than a bead, but I think the small glitter might be a key..not sure.....just doing what the guide says!.....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found a pack of needles at my local dollar store. For a buck I got about 6 or 8 different needles of varying length and girth. There was even one that was really long and went right thru the worm nicely. Just a heads up if anyone's looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.