BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this situation happen to me a while back, and it's still kinda bothering me.

I was trolling out at the Cap, and it was pretty busy out there. I do my best to keep out of people's way, and really try to anticipate what the other boats are going to do. I rarely get upset with people who make some mistakes out there, or who appear to be clueless on how to navigate their boats. Not everyone is out there as much as me, not to mention right-of-way is pretty gray in these situations.

Anyway, I'm heading due east, and a big charter fishing boat is heading towards me on a slight angle trolling North West. I pump my kicker up a bit so I can keep my heading, and pass in front of him. Next thing I know this lunatic starts screaming at me from his command bridge. Calling me all sorts of names... pretty much just being an ass... I figure he was trying to impress his guests with the bravado.

Now, I don't want to judge the guy... I don't think he's that bright as the name of the charter company is plastered all over his boat (kinda like those morons who drive like maniacs in their company labeled cars). But there's no way on earth I'd use this guy, nor would I recommend using his services.

All this being said.. is there a code of conduct I'm missing out there? I talk with a lot of charter guys, have good relationships with them, etc. So, I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong... was this guy just being a dick? If there's something I'm missing, I'd really like to know.. it's a pretty good way to ruin a nice day on the water putting up with this.

OR are we on the chuck just destined to become like the river fishermen?

·
Banned
151 Posts
I googled "who has right of way on ocean" and the rule of thumb is that the vessel on your starboard side coming towards you has right of way. You are expected to slow down and turn starboard to put other vessel on your port side. Taken from ezinearticles.com
don't shoot the messenger... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes, I get those rules... Am not sure it applies in the cluster of trollers we find at the mouth of the cap...

·
Banned
151 Posts
I hate when someone has the coin to buy a boat,yet has zero idea what a responsibility safe boating is. Just pay the man,drop it in the water,and turn the key,and check it out: there aren't any traffic lights or speed signs. :mad:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you suggesting oldman?

Haha, I couldn't agree with you more... You should check out the harbor any night there's fireworks... What a gong show!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh yes, I get those rules... Am not sure it applies in the cluster of trollers we find at the mouth of the cap...
Hate to tell you, but the rules always apply. If there had been a collision in this situation, you would have been held responsible.

Hope you've got your boater's license. These rules feature prominently on the exam.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, if I'm not mistaken that even if you have the right of way if you can avoid a colision at sea , you must avoid one.
Or both can be at fault !

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Was his vessel larger than yours, meaning harder to change course?

Sounds like he had right of way but you figured speeding up was your way of getting out of his way?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, I should clarify, this boat was making his turn in front of me. While I completely understand the easement rules, and admit he was in my "danger zone"... He turned into my lane of travel. Regardless, I'm asking more about courtesy in this particular area.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Yes, pushing my speed was safer than a 90 degree turn in a crowded area of boats.
That sounds like you did the right thing. I'd like to hear from other seasoned pros on this. This thread parallels the Vedder thread. Whaddya do with a ton of traffic. Seems the normal rules are not as black and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
I run a charter boat and deal with other charter boats all day, if we want to move inside or outside of another boat we will generally cross in front. Less chance of a tangle, if your crossing kick up your speed less time in front of the other boat. We all run on channel six in my area and we will usually give the other boat a call, ie Danny Boy, Seawest crossing you...

No biggy, just remember there are always people that own the ocean and your in their property. I love these guys especially when they go nuts, just wave and smile. They look like idots you look like a pro.

The easy right of way rule if you are crossing another boat, if you see their red light (port) stop, they have the right of way. If you see the green light (starboard) you have the right of way. If its a size issue a 20ft, 30ft and 40ft are pretty much equal, unless there is a draft issue. As someone else said everyone is obligated to aviod a collision.

Bret

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wait till you run into the retarded old geaser out there in about a 26' sail boat that trolls with his kicker but has his sail (small one in the front) up but flopping in the wind cutting thru the pack. Swearing at everyone and touting that sails have the right of way. One day he cut me off twice the second time I just veered hard over the stern of his boat and picked up all his gear with my cables, I called it a forced time out for a child that wasnt playing nice with all the others. Too bad he wasnt using better gear for me to add to my collection.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He has to be under wind-power for that to cut it...

But I love the response.... I saw a rec fishing boat assault a commercial trolling boat with a bunch of rocks and a sling shot as they ran through all of us at Sandheads going about 20 knots. I guess I tend to be a bit more level-headed than most..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some people are just plain ignorant! don't let them ruin your day. they think because they have the right of way they can do what ever they want to do. I was traveling in a straight line with 3 other boats side by side, some idiot who has the whole ocean to navigate decides to cut us all off and is screaming all the way through he has the right of way. Problem solved, I didn't even flinch, just cut off his lines and laughed at him!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts