BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Lafarge this evening and tied on the usual black and red micro leech that normally knocks 'em dead. I wasn't getting any action, and around 8:15 I started to notice tons of swirly rises all around me (in about 8-12 feet of water). It looked like they were sipping something just below the surface. I switched to a floating line and tied on an emerger chronie pattern (#14) because that's what I assumed the fish were feeding on, but no luck at all. There were rises all around my fly, but they just weren't pickin' up what I was layin' down. Any ideas about what they might have been eating and what I should tie to imitate it?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i would bet they were feeding on Mayflies nymphs just under the surface. i was at Green Timbers the last couple days and saw quite a few of them hatching there also and yes i was watching the fish take them but they were still nailing chronies :thumbup:

can you describe what the fish were doing exactly (behavious wise) cause different surface action helps determine what they might be striking. I read in a book that if they are jumping clear out of the water they are chasing chronies, porpusing (rolling backs out only) then they are taking bugs just under the surface (mayfly nymphs, damsels, etc.) and then there is them coming up under bugs sitting ON the surface and just sipping them under. hopefully one of our pros can say whether this is true.

I was at a lake a few years back and saw the fish porpusing so i tied on a mayfly nymph quickly and cast strip, strip, Bang fish on. this happened steady for about an hour almost evey cast.

my favourite mayfly nymph to use is this little grey one that has a small hard epoxied back on it. and this other one my dad and i call "the leggy one" LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HOOK said:
i would bet they were feeding on Mayflies nymphs just under the surface. i was at Green Timbers the last couple days and saw quite a few of them hatching there also and yes i was watching the fish take them but they were still nailing chronies :thumbup:

can you describe what the fish were doing exactly (behavious wise) cause different surface action helps determine what they might be striking. I read in a book that if they are jumping clear out of the water they are chasing chronies, porpusing (rolling backs out only) then they are taking bugs just under the surface (mayfly nymphs, damsels, etc.) and then there is them coming up under bugs sitting ON the surface and just sipping them under. hopefully one of our pros can say whether this is true.

I was at a lake a few years back and saw the fish porpusing so i tied on a mayfly nymph quickly and cast strip, strip, Bang fish on. this happened steady for about an hour almost evey cast.

my favourite mayfly nymph to use is this little grey one that has a small hard epoxied back on it. and this other one my dad and i call "the leggy one" LOL
They were definitely "porpoising." I could see backs coming out of the water regularly. You're probably right about the mayfly nymph thing. I did see a small hatch of little grey ones on Sunday.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I figured out what they are eating. It's little transparent larvae of some kind that are about 4mm long. How you would imitate that is a mystery to me. That crappy part is that the fish seem to be feeding on these things almost exclusively right now (in the evening anyway, which is the only time I can go.) Micro leeches don't even seem to be working for me now, and I was slaying them on those things just a few days ago.

Ya ya, I can't catch fish at Lafarge. Bring on the jokes. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Roughingminor said:
Well, I figured out what they are eating. It's little transparent larvae of some kind that are about 4mm long. How you would imitate that is a mystery to me. That crappy part is that the fish seem to be feeding on these things almost exclusively right now (in the evening anyway, which is the only time I can go.) Micro leeches don't even seem to be working for me now, and I was slaying them on those things just a few days ago.

Ya ya, I can't catch fish at Lafarge. Bring on the jokes. :)
Net some of the larva and put em on ur hook ;)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
the tiny little clear things your seeing sound alot like Daphnia which i believe are very tiny shrimp :confused: our local lakes have tons of them and the fish eat them alot however i would bet this isnt what they were geared on. try pumping the stomach of one and see what you get. when we were there i pumped 2 fish and one was totally empty and the other was full of Daphnia and 3 small chronies which i had the pattern for, and well you know what happened after that :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would try the glass worm for sure. but also try out small 52 Buicks in Olive these should work also :cheers: i would love it if you could post a pic of this bug.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
flyguy has it right. the bugs are glassworms, they are very hard to imitate ('52 buicks aren't even close) but the link supplied will be the best chance. You could switch it up completely and try a bloodworm just off the bottom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.