BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i have also seen these bobbins and wondered how good they are :confused: i guess nobody around here uses them LOL I just use the cheaper ones they work plenty good enough that you dont need to get to crazy with expensive tools.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you're right, nobody around here uses them either :confused:

I'm headed to San Diego next month with work and I get some extra money, so I'm not worried about their cost :thumbup:. I have two non-ceramic bobbins which work fine for now, but I'd like to invest in some higher quality tools for the long run.

These look really cool, and from all the reviews I've read online, they are great, but I'm sure some of them aren't as subjective as they could be. I'd value an honest opinion from here first.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
dont quote me on this but i think the plus side of ceramic bobbins is that they dont create as much friction as the metal ones. which is a good thing when tying stuff like floss which frays apart with the friction. i cant really think of any other reason why ceramic would be better :confused: aside from being pricier.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Ceramic bobbins have a smoother, harder bore. They will not develop grooves in them, as most cheaper models will and hence won't cut your thread as readily when applying tension. They are also much gentler than non-ceramics when using lighter weight threads for smaller flies. Finally they will last much longer than your "cheap today, replace me tomorrow" bobbins. I have used ceramic bobbins for the past few years now and would not go back to the false economy of the non-ceramic models. I have no experience with the Rite bobbins, but that style has been around for quite some time now and are probably very good. You should check the sister site (http://www.flyfishbc.com/)and pose this question there as well.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Thanks Prof. that answers alot :thumbup: I will probably be picking up better bobbins when i get into this tying thing more in depth. right now im still new so i will work with what i have ;D

what kind of ceramic bobbins do you recommend? metal with ceramic insides OR the fully ceramic ones?? just curious if there is a big difference when using them as they all have a large flared egde for less wear on the thread.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I Have 3 of the Griffin Peewee Ceramic Bobbins , and there pretty sweet , i have some of the sunrise tools and there junk !!!! when it comes to bobbins spend the money and buy the ceramic bobbins, it makes life so much easier, especially when tying difficult flies you dont want your thread fraying on you then it breaks !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.