BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's post up some general river boating rules that you wouldn't see in a book that may help people that son't know.

1) Slow down and drop your wake when going through heavy fishing traffic. Remember you wake flows down river so wait until you are well past before you throttle up again.

2) Keep your eyes open and steer clear of a boat with a net out that is floating a fish.

3) Do not run on the inside of boats that are anchored up. There is plenty of room in the middle that's where you run.

4) Do not crowd other boats if they are anchored in the spot you wanted but were late getting to. There's lot's of river to fish.

5) The launch area is used to take your boat in and out of the river.
a) If you need to put your plugs in and take off your tie downs, do it while you are waiting in line or pull off well before the launch.
b) Make sure you load your boat before soming to the river, not at the launch.
c) When there is room for two boats to launch, don't back down the middle.
e) Your trailer is meant to get wet, back it in until the back of you boat floats. Don't try to push it in yourself.

· Registered
691 Posts
One thing that drives me nuts......... :wallbash:

.No showing off in front of the boat launch

· Registered
455 Posts
Wear PFDs, especially non-swimmers and children.
Stay sober.
Learn "Rules of the Road" and obey signs and markers.
Respect other people.
Don't pollute or litter.
Keep your boat shipshape.
Don't hazard bad weather.
Tell others where you are going and when you expect to return

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Take you PCOC course, or a power squadron course
Never overload your boat
Maintain your engine(s), batteries and electrical system in good working order
Install and regularly replace the water fuel separator/filter
Add a stout anchoring system c/w sufficient chain and rode to keep you held in currents up to 10 knots (Fraser)
Invest in safety gear
Use a PFD (the "P" stands for Personal)
Canoes are unstable craft. You ARE responsible for your own wake.
Be prepared to help others in difficulty. Your fishing is not as important as their safety

· Registered
415 Posts
I have two pet peevs:

1. people hogging the launch ramp to load gear, remove tie downs. etc and..my biggest peev :wallbash:

2. when its dark, keeping your headlights on when someone is trying to back down!. I asked one fellow quite nicely once if he could turn his headlights out so I could back down (and actually see something)...he replied " I have day time running lights and they won't shut off". Well turn your $%$#& engine off then!!
Jesus...what planet was HE from?

· Registered
347 Posts
Most issues covered above: couple more, The person who can not back a trailer down the ramp without 10 tries over a prolonged period-we all had to learn but go do it in a big open area somewhere, not at the ramp with people waiting(I have to admit that sometimes it can me most entertaining watching the trailer go sideways, etc.). Second, people that throw trash in the water(any kind, includes line, gear, cans, etc.).

Salt.

· Registered
177 Posts
Great tips all around. One of my pet peeves is when a boater anchors or parks & fishes a bankie hole. If ya really like that bank spot please leave the boat at home.

· Registered
584 Posts
good stuff guys! :thumbup: It's good to see that there are a number of you out there who have some good boating common sense. One comment though on

1) Slow down and drop your wake when going through heavy fishing traffic. Remember you wake flows down river so wait until you are well past before you throttle up again.
This isn't 100% The operator is 100% responsible for his/her own wake and when slowing down your wake gets huge so this has to be done in such a way that the wake isn't sent out to where it can do harm (ie docked/beached boats or anchored boats or boats in midst of loading). The going slow has to happen at DEAD slow as in no wake at all ( usually less than 5-10 mph) which isn't enough to get up the current so what happens is the throttle creaps up just a bit but the wake doubles in size. In this case it is better to pass at WOT trimmed out or at least at a good clip so that the wake is there but as small as possible. If you are trying to park and have to pass everyone first do so at a SAFE but fast enough speed so the wake is small, slow down once your past and then drift down to where you want to park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.