BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of rod and reel should I be fishing coho with freshwater? I have a bunch of pike gear and Chinook bar fishing gear. I hate using 10 foot rods and my garcia 10000's seem like major overkill for coho.

Will a 7 foot ugly stick med rod w spinning reel be good enough or do I need special tackle for the coho.

...and fly gear, I have none, was always wanting to try a 8 weight rod for the sockeye, but never fished good sockeye water so never bought one. Is a 8 weight good for coho.

In fact if any feel compelled to give me their version of a crash course freshwater coho education, I am all ears and will be in your debt!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I like the 10 foot rods for coho on big rivers as I feel it gives you better control over your drift and allows you to keep more line off the water. A 7 foot rod with a spinning reel is just fine for coho as far as I'm concerned, others might argue. From my limited experience, it seems like the coho down in the Fraser drainage have a different personality then the ones up in the Skeena/Nass, the ones up north seem alot more aggressive.

As for the fly rod, an 8 weight will do you fine for sockeye, and you'll have a great time if you hook into a coho. For fly fishing sockeye, the ticket for me has always been to find where fast water hits an island or a gravel bar and makes a pronounced seam so-to-speak. Typically use a heavy sink tip that will sink to the bottom and then keep only the sink tip on the water and don't allow any line to belly.

Fun thing about fishing is going out and trying for yourself, always keep learning and don't be afraid to take someones advice, as stupid as it may sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 7' med ugly stick is just what I had laying around, but rods are cheap, I don't care if I have to buy better.

Seems to me that the Garcia reels would be a pain in the rear to be casting spoons and such in the river compared to spinning gear, although once the fish is on, the garcia doesn't give the fish much ground.

I bought a 7 ft Ugly Stick Catfish rod the other day, it is med heavy and a much more stout rod than the regular one. If a guy was reeling in a 20 lb spring with this thing it would be quite a bunch of fun, but I have read that a coho doesn't have near the power of a spring. Would such a rod be overkill?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 7' med ugly stick also and need a new spinning reel. One of a few items inherited from family. Any suggestions?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
The type of rod and reel you will use will depend on the fish you are targetting and the size of the river, your choice of offering and the conditions of the body of water you're fishing. The seven foot spinning rod and reel would only work if you are throwing spoons and spinners for coho. But what of you're fishing a system with bigger. Fish like Chum and Springs tend to be hanging around together in some rivers and what will happen if you hook one of them? I bet you'll wish you had the levelwind. If you're floatfishing or drift fishing for coho or other anadromous species you need at least a 10.6 drift rod medium to light medium action so you can control your drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a 10.6ft convergence and a 6500c4 i find i can cast spoons just fine on smaller flows just have to adjust the reel for the weight of the lure. and as big green machine says if i hit a chum or spring i have the control

·
Registered
483 Posts
In the fraser sides i use a 7 foot rod with a spinning reel loaded with 10lb test.I used it once in the vedder tossing spoons at some coho jacks that were rising and ended up hooking a 19lb spring.I landed it but it took a bit so i would not recommend it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts