BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am looking for suggestions on flies to use when targeting cutthroat in streams and rivers. I know they like meat, so I figure muddlers will work. It is probably a little late for fry imitations? What do you all use?

G

·
I slayed them this past week on leech patterns in sizes 2-4, buggers in sized 3-8, and dry flies at night on the hot days. like tommies thumb :thumbup: also try some stone flies they work too. :drunk: only when its hot tho as thats when they hatch! not saying which river tho either ;D just me my jet and the open water!

· Registered
21 Posts
I've only really ever fished for cutties with dries. Generally fairly big stimi patterns too. This is what makes cutts a great fish for flyfishers - their willingness to take dry flies from the surface. Even when you have to use nymphs or streamers to get rainbows etc. cutties will still take dries.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
There are 2 distinct strains fished in BC and they present different feeding habits. Sea-run, coastal cutties tend to be more pisciverous and are often targeted with baitfish patterns. They are particularly aggressive and targettable when the fry are present in the rivers. They are also quite nomadic and travel great distances hunting prey. Westslope cutts, on the other hand are more insectivore in their habits. They tend to take up residence in a river and stay near the same spot as rainbow would. These fish are pigs for dry fly imitations, but they can be had even easier on nymph patterns. When fishing the Kootenays, I will often fish dries until I get jaded and then switch to nymphs for a change of pace, and then back to a dry. You can often find a run of a hundred feet or so and spend the better part of a day switching back and forth and be nto fish all day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.