BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Late summer is prime time up there.

river fishing (shore) within a few hours of Prince George.
Anzac for the biggest grayling (perhaps the largest on the planet!) once the river comes into shape around the end of July. The grayling in that river are spawners from the Parsnip/Williston system. There are large bull trout that follow them up and will willingly take a minnow imitation all at the same time. The water can even be a little turbid as long as there is about a foot and a half of visibility sometimes even in late June depending upon the year. The Mesalinka, Osalinca system accessible from the Parsnip forest road (just before the Parsnip bridge) have large rainbow from Williston lake. TAKE SENSIBLE BEAR precautions on all these systems especially if you go alone. The local joke is "how can you tell when there is a Grizz around?" The answer is "you can hear the bells 'n whistles that they swallowed along with the tree planters."

The Willow and Bowron also have great rainbow fishing starting as the water calms down and clears up, this can start as early as the middle of August and earlier in low snow pack years. The Willow will be the first river to become fish-able. But by and large the really great bite does not start till September and can last well into October depending on how cold it gets. Generally by the end of September the "leaf hatches" start to happen and even with gear you will find things awkward and down right annoying with a fly line. Usually the really good fishing only lasts a maximum of 4-6 weeks. On the Bowron there are large blocks of interior fir that can have lesser amounts of late September leaves on the river. But on the Willow which was blasted by a huge bug and feller buncher kill in the 1970s there are not very many places left with fir, spruce, pine and cedar left that do not get pounded with cottonwood and willow leaves.

Brings back fond memories

August and September is prime time up there for caddis and minnow imitations.:cheers:

Just wish I could afford to go back up there!

Best of luck.
Eric

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Well you got some pretty good info for a guy with one post. Hopefully you can show some class and throw a thanks Reeman's way he gave you a lot of info, I would have told you to stick with the Nechako.

·
Registered
604 Posts
k5 isn't the only one that will cash in on that info. Thanks Reeman as I will use it when I make my annual late summer /early fall pilgrimage up to PG to make sales calls. The last time I was there I didn't have much time to fish but I did manage to cast a few into the Willow river. Nothing to show for it but a beautiful piece of water to be sure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the info Reeman. If it wasn't for money and time (and this annoyance called work), I would be heading up there right away!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yes you can imagine how thrilled I am about that. I have asked the mods to move this into regional reports where it belongs as the one post wonder got what he wanted and it is unlikely we will hear from him again anyways.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes you can imagine how thrilled I am about that. I have asked the mods to move this into regional reports where it belongs as the one post wonder got what he wanted and it is unlikely we will hear from him again anyways.
Sorry you guys the reasoning here is to perhaps spin off some the ridiculousness on the real stuff. Besides which if enough gear heads and the like go there and get their buts scared by Yogi and BooBoo just maybe the fishing will get a bad rap. LOL X2 Last time going through Pine Pass going to a job up in the Graham area someone from OilBerta with a sled heading in a hurry for some of the action on the Peace almost smoked me in the tail pushing through the tall grass sections before the climb. Guess he was wondering why I was only doing 80 and driving like an old man.

Guess what there were at least 30 bears right on the side of the road chewing on grass shoots and one of the big fat blacks got rousted by a mother and cubs. It bolted out in front of me on a tight corner with the moron tailgating me. Missed the bear by no more than a foot!

What has this got to do with fishing, well living down here in Lotus Land I hope that these little messages get across and the recent huge cutbacks in COs and oversight STOPS AND RIGHT NOW.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
No need to be sorry, everyone feels comfortable sharing info at a different rate. I think it was very generous of you to post what you did. I would not have but that does not mean I think what you did was wrong.

I prefer to let folks contribute for a while and then give them little tidbits of good advice, I would never give info like that up to a first poster but you are well within your rights to do so. I think it shows an openness that I will never have with my fishing spots. Different strokes they say.

That being said this belongs in the regional section so great work by the mods to get it here away from the eyes of the lurkers and where it belongs. Now only the members who deserve this info can access it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts