BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a take off of the previous post. What i was curious of is, are the seals a protected species. Growing up on the river it was always said you can't harm or hunt them. I understand the whole firearms discharging and the saftey of the public, but I was wondering about bow hunting for them. I could'nt find anything in the hunting synopisis. I am just curious if its one of those rules that is a urban legend or are there actual regs around it. Might be a intersting meat to try?
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
411 Posts
They are protected just like the S#!T Hawks, I know for Seagulls it is $1,000.00 fine for killing them. Go figure both of them there are thousands of them.

Back in the '60's way before my time, there was a $5.00 a nose for seals. Then Green Peace and all the bleeding heart got into the action and got it closed down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every year I see at least a couple of dead seals that have been shot, when I walk the dikes in Richmond with my dog. Seems some of the commercial fishermen bend the rules on using rifles in the LM. Not sure they do any damage to the population overall, but those seals sure do stink after a week or 2 washed up on shore.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tsalgood,

Now how do you know it was the commerical fisherman that shot the seals did you see them do it??

I have herd of SPORTS ANGLERS OUT ON THE WATER SHOOTING SEALS.

I was a Commercial fisherman for a number of years, sure we packed a rifle or two but it was more for the two legged seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.