BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on the "swims" that fisheries does periodically in rivers to survey numbers of fish? I know they do this on some rivers, I don't know if they do for all the ones I fish, but I am curious to know if I can get access to that data...and if anyone on our site has already done some of that legwork?
any input would be helpfull
thx,
rib :D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
the seymour used to have a much bigger return than the one they have now. It would be sweet ifd they made it a much bigger return.

Hotrod

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I have studied the seymour quite a bit, and I had seen that info....It's something of an interest to me fisheries biology....I'm thinking about getting another degree (might be nuts at my age , but I think I might have the time next year....) Anyway , it's a pity that the seymour is no longer what it was, but ever since I first started fishing rivers, that's the way it's been.... the rivers with good stocks get overfished and disrespected untill they become the rivers that used to have good stocks.... :cry: Sucks ass as far as I'm concerned....I guess that's another good reason why a lot of us here don't like to talk much about any but the most obvious and already pressured rivers.....Sad state of affairs. Anyway, Thanks for the info guys, I did find some other articles that fit the bill at the UBC library and that satisfied my interest for now....
Rib

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sanderson said:
From the article, Wednesday's batch of 2,000 steelhead followed a much larger release on May In total, 20,000 to 30,000 fish are put into the river each year.

Steelhead trout make their way to the ocean once released and, ideally, return to the release point after a number of years.

But currently only one per cent of steelhead return to the Seymour River.

Whats wrong with those numbers? 2 or 3 hundred fish in a small system sounds good to me.
great release #'s but low returns."But currently only one per cent of steelhead return to the Seymour River." In a couple of years we can HOPEFULLY see this turn around, thanks to the efforts of those @ the hatchery and all the hard work they have done to try to keep this river stocked and on the SLOW road to recovery. The Cap always produces better Salmon #s and it too has runs of steelies but NOTHING like the Vedder or the Stamp. You read the board here and people are getting 3,4,5+ hook ups a day :shock: on those rivers. That's what we're dreaming of for the Seymour. But as it is, the Seymour is still a very slow fish. Pretty scenery but slow to fish.

·
Registered
225 Posts
"The Cap always produces better Salmon #s and it too has runs of steelies but NOTHING like the Vedder or the Stamp."

from the DFO hatchery website... expect the same returns for the Seymour.

Production Releases:

Average annual release of smolts into the Capilano River from the Capilano Hatchery:
Coho 525,000
Chinook 500,000
Steelhead 15,000

Returns:

Average annual return of adults to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery from the Capilano River:
Coho 14,000
Chinook 740
Steelhead 30

http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/facilities/capilano/fp_hist_adult_returns_e.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts